Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

JustinThomason

Old February 28th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Looking really promising so far. I know my group will be happy to have the web access - even if it is only for viewing.
JustinThomason is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old February 28th, 2015, 07:41 PM
So the web version is a html version of the GM tool?

I was (mistakenly) under the impression that the web version was going to be for the players to look at your realm, like a web-based wiki, or like the player version but web based.

Is that capability in the future, or was this intended to be purely a web-based GM tool?
MaxSupernova is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 28th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
So the web version is a html version of the GM tool?

I was (mistakenly) under the impression that the web version was going to be for the players to look at your realm, like a web-based wiki, or like the player version but web based.

Is that capability in the future, or was this intended to be purely a web-based GM tool?
The Player Edition of the desktop is essentially the same as the GM Edition, except that all the content creation and editing capabilities are omitted. The same will be true on the web. Our primary focus on the web is everything players will need to access the revealed content. However, we're also implementing a variety of GM features that will make it possible to effectively run a game via the web. Revealing topics and snippet. Revealing regions of maps. Making notes. All those things are core to a GM running a game.

We've always planned to ultimately bring all the GM features to the web. All we're doing right now is implementing the core capabilities for GMs in parallel with player support. That will make it possible for GMs to travel lighter, run games with less of a technology footprint in front of them, and also be able to run the game without requiring a Windows device. And they can do it while still having access to all the power of the full Windows product for content creation and development.

When we release the web version in the months ahead, both players and GMs will be able to use it. Just like the desktop product, GMs will have access to features that players do not. And the features available to GMs will be only a small subset of what's provided by the desktop product. Those features will then continue to evolve on the web over time.

I hope that explanation helps to clear up any confusion that may have arisen!
rob is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 28th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibecker View Post
This looks great so far - I'm looking forward to seeing it live!

Joe said that it won't support editing "at launch". Does that mean that the plan eventually is to have it support the full range of editing that the desktop client allows? Or perhaps some subset of the capabilities?

-Ian
Just to confirm what @Parody said, the plan is to support everything* via the web.

*Caveat: We expect that certain capabilities will be extremely hard (or perhaps impossible) to support exactly the same via the web. So we'll be adapting everything to the web in a suitable manner, and there will almost certainly be meaningful differences between the two platforms. However, the goal is to bring everything across.
rob is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 28th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
What about memory. I assume this is a lot of javascript, especially if you're targetting modern browsers (which i think is a great plan) so im curious what sort of memory requirements?
Memory is not something we've even looked at yet. Every year, devices get cheaper, CPU power gets cheaper, and memory gets cheaper. So our focus is to get a solid implementation into place first and foremost. One that will provide an excellent foundation for the future evolution of the product on the web. If we run poorly on "older, slower" devices today, that's not a huge concern, since today's devices will be the "older, slower" devices of next year. Our objective is to run well on moderately-powered devices today. But we're not going to lose tons of sleep if we aren't able to fully achieve that goal and end up running just decently on moderately-powered devices today.

We're taking the long view with the web, just like we have with everything that's gone into the Realm Works architecture and design.
rob is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 1st, 2015, 06:32 AM
Is the Web Player version still going to be free? (Im asking because it sounds like you're doing a lot more than it seemed like you stated you were going to do in the kickstarter)
mirtos is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old March 1st, 2015, 06:33 AM
This begs a question and some notations:

1- So are we hearing that the player version of RW is worthless? I mean from what I see here, your not going to need it, so why would we buy it? As GMs buying tools is part of the game, however sometimes it can get difficult to have our cheaper players invest in tools we want them to use. If web replaces the player edition, then why do we even have it?

Tablets, Yes we all know IoS followed by Droid rule the tablet space currently. However that's changing and will continue to change at a greater pace, it may be prudent to stop omitting the windows tablets from you MAC infomercials. You may want to buy a windows tablet for testing.

On a personal note, LOVE IT! Always looking forward to ways you can use the computer tech to better your game play at the table, and this absolutely fits into that category.

Keep up the great work!

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 1st, 2015, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
So are we hearing that the player version of RW is worthless? I mean from what I see here, your not going to need it, so why would we buy it?
You can use the Player Edition without having a connection to the Internet at the time, and the PE might have better performance (since everything is local). The web client makes the Player version less useful, but not completely worthless depending on your situation. (The original focus was not on having real-time updates at playtime outside of the Player View, after all.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Yes we all know IoS followed by Droid rule the tablet space currently. However that's changing and will continue to change at a greater pace, it may be prudent to stop omitting the windows tablets from you MAC infomercials.
It's hard not to focus on the market leader, especially when the only difference between a Windows tablet and a Windows netbook/small laptop are inputs (touchscreen vs. touchpad and physical keyboard). The differences are much less when looking at these devices only in terms of tablets and the web client.

Personally, it's Android that tends to be left out around here. :(

Parody is online now   #18 Reply With Quote
Portilis

Old March 1st, 2015, 09:51 AM
Further to that, Windows 10 is designed to operate on both tablet and PC, with a lot of the issues of Windows 8 on PC having been resolved, so there will be no need to design a seperate version for Windows tablets.

That said, it will also depend on the production of more windows-capable architectures for tablets, which may or may not take off.

I'd love to see android love, as it is definitely the dominant OS for tablets/phones at the moment, but unfortunately due to the wide variety of platforms it is going to be far harder to develop than it is for Windows and MacOS.

I've been running RW & HL on Win10 pretty much since the tech preview came out - originally as a VM for a player version account and from Christmas as my main OS, and I've yet to have any bugs crop up with either RW or HL that have been platform specific.
Portilis is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 1st, 2015, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
Is the Web Player version still going to be free? (Im asking because it sounds like you're doing a lot more than it seemed like you stated you were going to do in the kickstarter)
There will be a free level of web-based player access. There will also be a much more powerful "Player Edition" via the web.

The reason for this distinction is pretty simple. There's a big difference in the level of involvement from many players. Some just want to see what they need to participate in the game session, with maybe a little bit more. Others want to be more actively involved. The free level will target the former group. The "Player Edition" features will be of interest to the latter group.

I put "Player Edition" in quotes, because we may be revising the name. However, anyone with a Player Edition desktop license will have access to the enhanced features on the web. They have a Player Edition *account*, which is what controls access to features, just like on the desktop.

Hope this helps to clarify!
rob is offline   #20 Reply With Quote