Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Parody

Old June 16th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Yeah, unfortunately without cloud service the Player Edition, future web client, and so on are completely useless. DLG's post is just describing what you can currently do if you have cloud service.

Since there's maybe some 580 owners of the GM edition who don't have cloud service right now (everyone who bought the GM version at retail or pledged at a higher level has cloud service because they put the timers on hold) it's easy to forget that there are features they don't have.

Parody is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Turan

Old June 16th, 2015, 09:21 PM
It's all good - I have the answer to my question about its usefulness to my online game and I'll continue to use it as an organizational tool for myself as I have been. If the ability to purchase cloud access becomes available while we're still playing that game, I'll reconsider my position then.
Turan is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old June 17th, 2015, 02:47 AM
My apologies Turan for the confusion. Michael (Parody) is correct, I was speaking in general with cloud access. I managed to gloss over your "I" reference.

IMO even having it is currently very one sided. Meaning DM verses player.
My players have had theirs since the release and have utilized it less than 10 times between the four that have it.
The lack of early stability, the inability to add anything from their side (except a private journal that only they can see), no means of seeing "the world" from a character perspective (currently everyone sees everything the DM reveals), no calendar to ingratiate with their travels / journal entries are just some of their complaints.
Even with the advent release of the upcoming marketplace, it won't change the use much from the players perspective.

So as to your delema, parody covers it well. As to whether it would be worth the investment in the cloud / player aspects that depends on your tables style of play I suppose.
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; June 17th, 2015 at 05:52 AM. Reason: correct typos
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Turan

Old June 17th, 2015, 04:48 AM
It does seem odd that one needs to pay for two things in order for the Player Edition to work. In the current state of computer software, I feel like I should either pay for something and it works (games, Office, Realm Works GM edition etc.) or be given the software and pay for functionality (MMO's, Photoshop, etc.). To have to buy it and also pay to get any functionality seems like outmoded double dipping (Everquest). However, I know it's a relatively small company that needs to make a living, and it's really all moot until it's actually possible to do the dipping :P
Turan is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old June 17th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turan View Post
..........it's really all moot until it's actually possible to do the dipping :P
LOL true

Best Wishes and Good Gaming

DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old June 17th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turan View Post
To have to buy it and also pay to get any functionality seems like outmoded double dipping (Everquest).
This is plainly wrong.

When you buy the full (GM) version you get the full software capable of managing your campaign information.

There is an optional extra (cloud) to allow you to synchronise "revealed" information to people who have the Player version. If you don't pay for the optional extra, you can still show the "revealed" information to other players at the table using the "Player View" capability of the full version.
Farling is offline   #16 Reply With Quote