Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

ScottA

Old June 29th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Doesn't sound like much interest. I've expressed my opinion elsewhere so see no need to repeat it...
ScottA is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 2nd, 2018, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Doesn't sound like much interest. I've expressed my opinion elsewhere so see no need to repeat it...
As much as I would like to see this, keep in mind Hero Lab is the official character builder of Pathfinder and Starfinder, who are direct competition to WotC. It is very unlikely WotC will issue a license to a product their competition has been using for many years on an official basis.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old July 3rd, 2018, 10:24 AM
I didn't know that HL was the official character builder of Pathfinder. Does Pathfinder not allow character-creation and management in Fantasy Grounds and Roll20?

I have no idea what contractual obligations LWD has with Pathfinder or WoTC, but I would be surprised to learn that LWD has entered into an exclusive deal with Paizo.

It would be disappointing to me if that were the case, as I don't play Pathfinder, and HL & RW system neutrality was part of what drew me to these products, but it may make sense for LWD to tie itself to Pathfinder rather than compete on 5e support.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 3rd, 2018, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I didn't know that HL was the official character builder of Pathfinder.
That totally depends on what you mean by "official". HL is the most used software by Pathfinder players without a doubt. It is even used in-house by actual Paizo employees to create statblocks and NPCs and monsters. Its why the statblack generation part of HL was changed to match 100% to paizo statblocks.

This does not mean that Paizo has not sold a license to other software makers or has a solo deal with LW only. Paizo is very open with giving licenses that help expand the resources players and GMs can use for Pathfinder. This in turn expands the amount of income also!

Paizo learned a hard lessen when WotC shut down Dragon/Dungeon and the Star Wars magazines years ago. They learned that running a company on a single or very small source of income is dangerous. Now they try and have as many revenue streams as they can so if one dries up it does not end the company.

The reason 5E does not have official full support in HL is all because of Hasbro.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old July 5th, 2018, 12:11 PM
@ShadowChemosh That's what I thought. Given that the major VTTs also sell official core-book content and--at least for Roll20--are moving into character creation and management--for both 5e AND Pathfinder, I see no reason why either Paizo or Wizards would prevent LWD from providing official 5e content. I suspect it comes down to licensing costs and--probably mostly to--limited resources and the need to focus on StarFinder and PFv2. Once things are sorted with Paizo, I suspect LWD will be releasing official 5e.

MNBlockHead is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old July 5th, 2018, 11:34 PM
RavenX did not say (or even imply) that LWD's agreement with Paizo somehow prevented them from making a licencing agreement with WOTC. He simply stated that he thought WOTC would choose NOT to make the deal with LWD because they work with Paizo. I don't believe that to be the case - I think WOTC will avoid making a deal with LWD simply because they want to push all 5e users to dndbeyond.
Fuzzy is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old July 7th, 2018, 10:42 PM
@Fuzzy, if they wanted to "push all 5e users to dndbeyond" then why are they allowing Roll20 to license 5e IP for their character creator?

Roll20 officer Pathfinder content as well as 5e content.

So does Fantasy Grounds.

MNBlockHead is offline   #17 Reply With Quote