Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

meek75

Old January 7th, 2016, 05:33 PM
@Vargr, yes the example you give is great. The problem arises when you want to show marriage and descendants at the same time. Most family trees include both parents and RW does not display more than one relationship at a time very clearly.
meek75 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 7th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Genealogies are specialized relationship representations. There is specialized software written to provide the necessary functionality. Probably, the best bet is to look for a freeware or inexpensive program and see if you can embed the data in a topic as a Foreign Object. I think the functionality is just too specialized for core RealmWorks to handle.
Silveras is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 7th, 2016, 07:19 PM
I would look for software that allows me to export the family tree as an image and bring it in as a smart map. Not only would this allow you to click through to an individual's topic from the genealogy graphic, but it would automatically create all the links and show them in the link pane. Only issue I see with this is if you update the family tree often, I assume the nodes and lines are going to shift and the image size will change, requiring you to repin it.

I don't run a game where genealogies are so important that I need such complex charts and linkages, and I don't know that I would enjoy the work of running such a campaign. But, if I did, I think this is how I'd do it.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 7th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Family Echo (http://www.familyecho.com/) is a free, web-based family tree creator that allows you to export to a PDF file. Pretty basic formatting options and data entry isn't the smoothest, but it is free and has almost no learning curve.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 7th, 2016, 10:40 PM
If you want to go crazy about it, then MyHeritage is a very strong, professional program, that you may use for free (up to a fixed number of descendents, after that there is a yearly fee). I have been considering using it for the Imperial family, so I can keep track of illegitimate sons, unions through marriage, etc. I have no idea as to how it integrates into RW

One day, when I am free of the burden of the daily humdrum, I will get to it...

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old January 8th, 2016, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Family Echo (http://www.familyecho.com/) is a free, web-based family tree creator that allows you to export to a PDF file. Pretty basic formatting options and data entry isn't the smoothest, but it is free and has almost no learning curve.
Thanks for the pointer. I think this software will be perfect for what I need to do. I don't really need a super robust program. If RW had been able to show marriages and offspring well, then I would have used it. I will make the tree in family echo and then load it into RW as an image. I probably won't use pins, because I don't want to redo them every time I change the tree. However, it will still give me a nice visual.
meek75 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote