Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AEIOU

Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:28 PM
I like your approach MNBlockhead. The tags work well for this.

Instead of separate groupings for spells by level, I'm planning to create a master spell table by class with all spells listed by level. The list would then automatically link to the appropriate entries. And if I don't have a spell entered in yet, it'll be obvious by no linkages.

Your suffix use is good too.
AEIOU is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old May 24th, 2015, 06:10 AM
@MNBlockHead Yeah, the tags and groupings are definitely duplicating each other functionally. I'm a visual person and prefer having lists to look over. I put in the tags so I can leverage the filtering when I need to, but find the groupings sufficient most of the time. I could totally see a less visual person going your route and skipping the groupings. It does take extra time and its value is subjective.

What snippet types are you using for spell range and casting time? It looks like you have labels that are part of the snippet. I use a numerical snippet for range, but it won't let me put "feet" in the box after the number. I use text snippets for casting time, duration, ect. But I then have to manually put in the label each time.
meek75 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 24th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Every snippet in the Overview section, except the field below components, is a tag field.
I'm not sure I'll every want to filter spells by range or duration, but enough of these values were the same from spell to spell that it made more sense to select from a pick list than type in each time. When I came across a new value, it was easy to just add a new tag value.

The field below "components" is a text field for me to enter material components on spells the require them.
MNBlockHead is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old May 24th, 2015, 08:02 AM
[QUOTE=meek75;209523
What snippet types are you using for spell range and casting time? It looks like you have labels that are part of the snippet. I use a numerical snippet for range, but it won't let me put "feet" in the box after the number. I use text snippets for casting time, duration, ect. But I then have to manually put in the label each time.[/QUOTE]

If you create new tags in their own new tag domains, you will get the heading showing up to the left. I did this for the following:
Spell Casting Time (tags were action, bonus, reaction, other, and ritual for example)
Spell Class
Spell Components
Spell Duration
Spell Level
Spell Range
Spell School

Source might be useful as well so I know what book it came from and I'll probably put it in too

So far this allows me to quickly choose the multiple classes and schools without lots of typing. Entering the new tags took very little time to set up. This also allows easy entry of special notes in the annotation area for things like specific components or costs. I debated leaving Concentration and the time required to be entered in the annotation area as well but decided to just make tags for it under Duration. For example, an entry might have a "1 round" duration tag and a "Concentration, up to 6 rounds" as a second tag.

I've used your idea of the two groupings for level and alphabetical listings but created each of them as a subcategory under Spell/Power. This way I can add other subcategories if I find I want them. I'm debating whether I want to make a subcategory for each letter of the alphabet but it is not necessary now from what I can see. Perhaps later if the spell lists get too large. If I need it, I think I will just make a Spells by Letter subcategory and use it like the Spells by Level list where it just links to each spells topic.
Gord is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old May 24th, 2015, 01:15 PM
After reading the comments here I changed the way I'm going to organize by level. Rather than creating groups, I think it is easier to just have a single article that lists all the spells bu level and then let the auto linking do its thing. See the attached pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spells2.JPG (160.0 KB, 32 views)
meek75 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old May 24th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Yup. That's how I'd do it, Meek75.

I originally went down this road because I wanted to identify all of the NPC's with their locations in a city. Even the bit players that are only a line saying "Commoner 1, owner". I didn't want entries for every single person so a table with every person was my compromise with myself. I can open that entry and search for a name and find out where everyone is very easily. And if a bit player becomes a regular, I add a new entry and it links automatically. And if I mention a name of some random beggar or merchant, I can add it to refer back to later without having to deal with a full entry.
AEIOU is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old May 24th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I've used your idea of the two groupings for level and alphabetical listings but created each of them as a subcategory under Spell/Power
I misspoke. I should have said "topic" for the alphabetical and level lists of the spells.\, not grouping.

The way you are doing it now is similar to the way I do.
Gord is offline   #17 Reply With Quote