Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dark Lord Galen

Old April 3rd, 2015, 07:01 PM
I have a couple of questions I can't seem to find any documentation on as it relates to Minions & Mounts in the Editor.

When selecting a mount,
1> what drives the race being set to default? IS this integral to the program? I see no way to customize it.
Reason I have abit more detail surrounding different types of mounts and some have abilities others do not.

I have about 20 differing horse breeds that have differing abilities, faster, slower but carry larger load, withstand elements, etc. I can create a horse type in the editor, yet it defaults the "race". Am I missing something?

Also is there a means to potentially add some familiars / Companion to this list?(meaning "other tab") As some could certain fill both roles as mount & familiar/ Companion. It seems Pathfinder addresses this but D20 not so much. (note Irealize there is a difference between Familiar, Animal Companion, and mount(as defined on "other" tab)

2> Also Exporting doesn't seem to carry the Portrait as it does in the default print preview. is there a means to get this data on exporting as well?

In the Editor,
The Minion button brings up a popup that has the following:

I must be overlooking the details around this....
I am not clear at all what
"Maintains Own Mode?"
"Inherit rules from Master?"
"Minion Live Field: (blank box)

are looking for or do for me once that have the correct responses.

Thanks for any feedback
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minion Popup.JPG (27.6 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; April 3rd, 2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: clarify understanding on Familiar, Companion, Mount
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old April 28th, 2015, 11:08 AM
I don't have any answers for you, but I thought I would bump this in case someone who does missed it the first time.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old April 28th, 2015, 01:01 PM
LOL Thanks Sendric
I appreciate that a lot...

Rob gets annoyed when I do that..

Just cant seem to locate any documentation around some of the inner workings of the editor and less used functionality.

My instincts tell me its something I'm overlooking..
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 28th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
I don't have any answers for you, but I thought I would bump this in case someone who does missed it the first time.
To be truthful I have done very little with Minions in HL either d20 or Pathfinder. I will add this to list and see if I can figure anything out.....

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 3rd, 2015, 09:36 AM
Here's the documentation for "own mode" and "inherit rules from master":

http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....Data%29#minion

Since d20/pathfinder doesn't care about the creation/advancement state of a character, "Own Mode" won't change anything and doesn't matter in d20 or Pathfinder. "Inherit rules" asks whether this minion's sources should be identical to the master, and locked, or whether they should be up to the user to set.

To see how to build a minion with a pre-set race, as opposed to setting up a minion so that the user will choose the race after purchasing the minion, use the "New (Copy)" button, and copy "Dog, Guard", and then look at the bootstraps and tags buttons on the minion form.

Minion live field is not something that d20 is set up to take advantage of, so skip that one. To see it in effect, open Shadowrun (4th or 5th) in demo mode, and on the Vehicle tab, purchase a vehicle. Then, look at what happens when you uncheck and check the box on that vehicle's entry.

Last edited by Mathias; May 3rd, 2015 at 09:39 AM.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old May 4th, 2015, 11:12 AM
See interpretations below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Here's the documentation for "own mode" and "inherit rules from master":

http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....Data%29#minion

Since d20/pathfinder doesn't care about the creation/advancement state of a character, "Own Mode" won't change anything and doesn't matter in d20 or Pathfinder.
Ah, so presumably this is just a "generic" non-need applying to "other" platforms that the ONE editor supports?

Quote:
"Inherit rules" asks whether this minion's sources should be identical to the master, and locked, or whether they should be up to the user to set.

To see how to build a minion with a pre-set race, as opposed to setting up a minion so that the user will choose the race after purchasing the minion, use the "New (Copy)" button, and copy "Dog, Guard", and then look at the bootstraps and tags buttons on the minion form.
Did that, just was unsure what that "logic" was applying and "the why of it"

Quote:
Minion live field is not something that d20 is set up to take advantage of, so skip that one. To see it in effect, open Shadowrun (4th or 5th) in demo mode, and on the Vehicle tab, purchase a vehicle. Then, look at what happens when you uncheck and check the box on that vehicle's entry.
Ah ok.... so similar to #1 above not applicable....

Curious doesn't the editor "know" which game platform its opening? I would presume (maybe falsely) it doesn't, otherwise it would seem logical to simply not include fields that are not applicable to that platform.
OR
Is there some far off plan that would include these and that is why they exist?

Thanks for the insight and support.
DLG
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Jasper

Old July 23rd, 2015, 01:11 AM
Did you even find success adding all your different mount types? I was trying to do the same thing but I couldn't get things to work right.
Jasper is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Did you even find success adding all your different mount types? I was trying to do the same thing but I couldn't get things to work right.
Yes but only for a few types it is cumbersome to do them and got sidetracked working the kinks out of the Saint Prestige Class.
As Mathias had suggested taking the Dog apart clarified things. (see thread comment above)
I can forward *.user if you like

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Jasper

Old July 23rd, 2015, 04:18 PM
That would be awesome! I've been fiddling around and watching tutorials and I can get some stuff to work but not everything.
Jasper is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old July 23rd, 2015, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
That would be awesome! I've been fiddling around and watching tutorials and I can get some stuff to work but not everything.
can you clarify "Stuff" not working? Sorry I'm a very left brained engineer type (my new years resolution was to eliminate the use of pronouns in my conversations with others. helps me better remember peoples names.)
Just want to make sure my approach would even be helpful.
Overall challenge is the "minion" in the D20 setup seems to be (like most other things) limited from a programing perspective in comparison to the Pathfinder version of HL. SOOOO many times have I seen poor Shadow, Aaron, and others say, "this would be loads easier if, like path-finder, D20 had XYZ".....

But with that said, happy to help figure out if its at least possible.
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #10 Reply With Quote