Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Redcap's Corner

Old February 23rd, 2018, 09:59 PM
I have a custom subschool of magic, and I want it to be optionally retroactively applied to a number of published spells. I made the subschool without issue. I was able to use the "*Extend Thing" tab to implement the addition without issue. The problem is that I'd like to set up the retroactive application of this subschool so it's only used on characters that select the option from the source list, same as many published optional subsystems are selected. *Extend Thing doesn't seem to support sources, and it's my understanding that I couldn't cheat similar *Extend-esque code into the program without burying it in an option that would have to be added to the character somehow. Is that right?

Also, on a related note, is there a negative equivalent to the *Extend Thing tab? Some of the spells that would retroactively gain this subschool would need to lose an existing subschool, but I can only add tags with *Extend, not remove them, right?

Is the answer just to make a file with a bunch of modified versions of existing spells that overwrite the originals, setting each up with the custom source that would allow the subschool to be retroactively applied?

Last edited by Redcap's Corner; February 23rd, 2018 at 10:03 PM.
Redcap's Corner is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Redcap's Corner

Old February 24th, 2018, 10:45 PM
Actually, it looks like my non-preferred solution, posited at the bottom of the last post doesn't even work. It looks like if I copy a spell and make some changes, including giving it a new selectable source, and then tell it to replace the original version, it does it even for characters who don't select that source, effectively just removing the spell from their available options entirely. What can I do here? I have an optional subsystem that wants to make changes to some existing spells, but still wants to be optional on the user level!
Redcap's Corner is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old February 25th, 2018, 06:42 AM
Have you tried Preclude instead of Replaces thing? I seem to recall Replaces functions no matter the source, but preclude works with the source...

Working on -
  • (SWADE) WIP Savage Rifts
  • Savage Rifts (Deluxe): Update link in This post
  • Star Trek Adventures: Update link in This post
TCArknight is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 25th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Your best way to make this happen is to copy the whole game system. This way you can do all your "Replace Thing ID" for all these spells but still have the original version of Pathfinder. When you start HL you would have two different Pathfinder game systems to choose. One setup for CORE and one with your houserules.

Otherwise if you "preclude" a spell and that spell is bootstrapped to make a spell-like ability or used in a gizmo for a wand you will have issues.

And no you can't REMOVE tags from a Thing. Extend can only be used to add tags.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old February 25th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Shadow,

Do you have some code examples on how the extend works?

As an example of what I'm looking for is: adding witch hexes to malefactor maledictions, so that the Malefactor sees witch hexes as maledictions, and witches continue to see them as hexes.
Quintain is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old February 26th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintain View Post
Do you have some code examples on how the extend works?
Code Example

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old February 26th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Your example adds those feats to the bonus feat list for qinggong monks?
Quintain is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Redcap's Corner

Old February 26th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Your best way to make this happen is to copy the whole game system. This way you can do all your "Replace Thing ID" for all these spells but still have the original version of Pathfinder. When you start HL you would have two different Pathfinder game systems to choose. One setup for CORE and one with your houserules.

Otherwise if you "preclude" a spell and that spell is bootstrapped to make a spell-like ability or used in a gizmo for a wand you will have issues.

And no you can't REMOVE tags from a Thing. Extend can only be used to add tags.
I'm not sure that's a feasible option for me. I'd like to make these files available to the public at some point to support the eventual publication of the material my team and I are working on. Here's a thought, though: Would it be possible to make an adjustment that, when activated, made the changes, or would that only affect Picks, leaving Things unchanged when previewed before being added to the character?
Redcap's Corner is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old February 26th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcap's Corner View Post
or would that only affect Picks, leaving Things unchanged when previewed before being added to the character?
Correct. To change tags on a Pick only Extend can do that. No script can affect a Pick only Things.

Making large scale rule changes gets sort of hard because you often run into a situation where you can't easily "turn off" the changes.

Even using Replace Thing ID is dangerous if you plan to distribute because you can only have ONE replace thing id. So if in my own .user files I replace the same thing you do then HL will error out and fall into safe mode.

In addition as you found "Replace Thing" happens WAY before any source is checked.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old February 26th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintain View Post
Your example adds those feats to the bonus feat list for qinggong monks?
Correct. But its for the Talent Monk. But all Extend is doing is adding "Tags". So find the tags you need and Extend them on.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote