Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

JerkyGunner

Old June 9th, 2011, 12:05 PM
While trying to create all the NPCs from the Council of Thieves AP I came across the Outcast King in the second adventure. He's a barbazu-otyugh amalgam with a rather fetching pair of swords. I obviously hit a bump here, there's no amalgam template or any other template from the Advanced Bestiary.

Considering the fact that Paizo occasionally reference this book, is there any chance it will be implemented?
JerkyGunner is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old June 10th, 2011, 07:16 AM
It sounds like the NPC you have is a unique one. I ran into issues when creating the Kingmaker NPCs as well. Piazo does noty follow their own rules when they created the NPCs for the adventure paths. What i ended up doing was to create the NPC as a seperate file and then use it as the race to create the NPC from.

Since the books that Piazo uses arent created by Piazo i doubt that they will be put into HL unless someone wanted to do it themselves.

As for the templates, i think most, if not all of them, from the beastiary are already in HL. If you scroll down through the list of classes when you go to level up a character, you'll see a section called templates.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
JerkyGunner

Old June 10th, 2011, 07:38 AM
They are, but the template I'm talking about is from the Advanced Bestiary, not the Pathfinder Bestiary.
JerkyGunner is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old June 10th, 2011, 09:55 AM
A, sorry about that. I belive that book was an intermitted step for Piazo and came out before the Beastiary. Mostly it was a rush to market to have something for the game. I belive its a dead product now, so again, i dont see LW adding it to HL. but anyone in the user community could put it together and post it for everyone else.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
chava

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:57 AM
The Advanced Bestiary is published by Green Ronin. It is a nicely designed monster book of primarily templates (I want to say all templates, but I can't say that for sure) which Paizo used (since OGL and all) for monsters a bunch modules and APs.

However, since it isn't (and never was) a Pathfinder book, just used in a number of them. (Like the gold-clad monsters in City of Golden Death.)
chava is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
mikespol

Old June 10th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I've got to say, as an avid GMer of the Adventure Paths, I've had quite a few issues with HeroLab. But as you say chiefweasel, the issues are more because the authors want to get creative with the creatures in the APs, more than Lone Wolf not getting this right.

One possible solution from Lone Wolf though, may be an add on (I'm not sure of the proper name, or indeed if this already exists and I don't know how to use it) that lets you change things freely when you need to. As a non-programer (and I mean with NO experience), I can't change too much in the background or create some of the solutions that you Mr Weasel have done (which I have used, BTW, I am having trouble finding them again, but if you could send me the URL that'd be great).

So a simple "in program" option saying "pretty much do whatever you want with this guy and to hell with the rules cause APs are creativity heavy" would be useful. But as I said, as a new user with NO programing skills, maybe this option already exists and I have missed something.

Anyway, I still enjoy HeroLab and when I get the time to create my own adventures, it is going to save me TONS of time with the monsters.

Cheers
mikespol is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Bishop37
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 10th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chava View Post
The Advanced Bestiary is published by Green Ronin. It is a nicely designed monster book of primarily templates (I want to say all templates, but I can't say that for sure) which Paizo used (since OGL and all) for monsters a bunch modules and APs.

However, since it isn't (and never was) a Pathfinder book, just used in a number of them. (Like the gold-clad monsters in City of Golden Death.)
Yeah, its all templates. Probably a dozen or more have shown up in Pathfinder products and even though it is a 3.5 book, it still gets used in PFRPG adventures and products (although, usually with some tweaks to get it in line with the newer rules). It is a pretty solid book tho and is probably the single largest reason why there aren't more templates in the Pathfinder Bestiaries (why reprint them if they are already in one book that you can still easily buy?)
Bishop37 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote