Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

meek75

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:59 AM
So, I have been creating a lot of aliases as I make my realm. I have to concerns I would like some info about.

1.) Do all of those duplicate entries eat up a lot of storage space? I know I have plenty of cloud space for now, but I'm worried about the longer term. Am I shooting myself in the foot? It just seems silly to duplicate all that data when all I want is to auto link to the single location. Is there no way to do this without creating an entire duplicate? I can see why, in some cases, I may want to duplicate the entry, but generally I don't.

2.) Will all the duplicated data slow down realm works?
meek75 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:24 AM
The data isn't duplicated, the aliases point to the same topic.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:31 AM
OK, since it creates duplicate entries in the almanac (grayed out) I assumed they were duplicates.
meek75 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meek75 View Post
OK, since it creates duplicate entries in the almanac (grayed out) I assumed they were duplicates.
Yeah, those aren't duplicates they are just pointers to the original so it's easier for you to find things using the alias name. You can turn off the extra entries if you don't want the aliases to show up there, but in any case the only extra space being used by them is the number of characters in the alias name and however many bits of space the pointer itself might take up (and yes, I said bits on purpose, not bytes.) In other words, I wouldn't worry about that at all. As for how much space you are using and how much we will be allocated all of that is still in the works but it is on the way.

Oh, and I wouldn't expect you to see any slowdown from using lots of aliases. True, you are expanding the table where searches for links are made but that's nothing like searching some huge PDF file, for example. More like searching through a few pages in Notepad, probably faster, actually, since it would be in a table and likely optimized for searching (that's behind the scenes stuff, though, not something us users of the program need worry about.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; April 24th, 2014 at 03:50 PM.
zarlor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote