Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

RugueGeneralHunter

Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
This is getting out of hand!
Once again---New update = all my add-on’s GONE!
The last time it was a complete revamp of AB so it was understandable.
This time it was just an update.

What is the point of having AB creator if the stuff I create is doomed to go away when you next update the files? This is BS!

Anyone replying to this must understand that I don't want to hear about how tough the guys who make the program work have it. I am a IT guy myself and I understand how tough it can be. What is bothering me is that I work my butt off putting in the special units that should already be there. Only to have them go away with each update. I also don't want to hear about how I can copy the files and reload them. I miss updates to my files that make the full "update" useless.

There has got to be a way around this!!!!!

What program is at the core?

If I create the special characters can they be submitted to be permanently added?

I will be glad to help.

R.G Hunter

:evil: :evil:
RugueGeneralHunter is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
HakujinGrande
Volunteer Data File Author

Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
Any changes in the regular datafiles will always be wiped out in an update. There is a way around it, make your additions in seperate data and extension files. If you add your add-on in seperate files, they will not be affected when you update (unless you leave the "Delete all files not updated" checkbox checked when you update).

If you are adding things that should be in the data files, then that should be taken up with the WH6 datafile team, in the appropriate forum:
http://support.wolflair.com/index.ph...viewforum&f=26

It is also important to remember that the data files for most game systems (particularly GW games, due to licensing issues) are not written by Lone Wolf themselves, but by volunteers that are not Lone Wolf employees.

Space Marine Maintainer for AB3
Battlefleet Gothic Maintainer for AB3
40K: Space Wolves, 13th Company, Grey Knights, Deathwatch
BFG: Space Marine Fleet, Armageddon Fleet, Tau Fleet
HakujinGrande is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
If you are making changes to the existing data files, they will of course be overwritten when you import new data files. If you want to preserve your data files, they have to be put into a separate file, as outlined previously.

You also need to make sure that any new data files you import don't overwrite your existing files, as mentioned by HakujinGrande. When you are shown the import form, the files that will be overwritten and/or deleted are listed on the right side. If you use the checkbox on the form, files listed in the rightmost of the two lists will be left untouched, while all files in the other list will still be overwritten.

After you add your changes, make a backup and keep it in a separate place, just as a precaution. You say you're an IT guy, so I'm going to assume you've already done that.

As an IT guy, you probably work with database maintenance. When you import new data files, you are installing a completely new database that wipes out the one before. Using the mechanism above, you can control which pieces of data are overwritten to some degree.

Also, if you send your changes to the author of the WFB data files, it's highly likely that he'll be able to incorporate your changes into the next set of data files. Then you don't have to worry about any of this.

-Rob

At 09:58 AM 4/22/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
This is getting out of hand!
Once again---New update = all my add-on’s GONE!
The last time it was a complete revamp of AB so it was understandable.
This time it was just an update.

What is the point of having AB creator if the stuff I create is doomed to go away when you next update the files? This is BS!

Anyone replying to this must understand that I don't want to hear about how tough the guys who make the program work have it. I am a IT guy myself and I understand how tough it can be. What is bothering me is that I work my butt off putting in the special units that should already be there. Only to have them go away with each update. I also don't want to hear about how I can copy the files and reload them. I miss updates to my files that make the full "update" useless.

There has got to be a way around this!!!!!

What program is at the core?

If I create the special characters can they be submitted to be permanently added?

I will be glad to help.

R.G Hunter
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
deathlynx
Volunteer Data File Author

Old April 25th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Actually the changes he's made in the files are unofficial so they're unlikely to be made (it's been discussed on the WFB forum)...
deathlynx is offline   #4 Reply With Quote