Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

salcor

Old February 8th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Rob

Thanks for the reply. It is always interesting when a product is pushing the edge of ideas like you are doing with Realm works. It is worth the wait.

Salcor
salcor is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old February 8th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Important clarification: Calendars have NOT been abandoned. Not even close. Portraying them as such is a gross misrepresentation of the facts.
Thanks Rob. I saw a couple people saying this and I'm not sure where/why it started.
weogarth is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 8th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Weogarth,

Thanks for the tip about MilieuSim's WeatherMaster. Seems like it would have been a great option. It is a shame they closed shop. Would have been nice if they had left it available as a free or paid unsupported version or opensourced it, but since that doesn't seem to be the case, I don't see how anyone who never bought a licensed copy back in the day can legally get and a copy now and use past the demo period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weogarth View Post
If you Google well enough, you can find WeatherMaster which will allow you to have custom calendars and also do moon phases and other things.

In some ways, it was to calendars and astronomy for RPGs what Realm Works is to full campaign management.

It's well out of date and you have to do some hacks to get it to run but you may find it worth the hassle.
MNBlockHead is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 8th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Thank you. Helpful and certainly to be bookmarked. Don't seem to do conversions. But interesting and useful nonetheless.
MNBlockHead is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 8th, 2015, 09:54 AM
I've edited my post to correct the inaccurate statements regarding development timelines and to focus on the constructive discussion of stop-gap options for converting custom-calendar dates in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Important clarification: Calendars have NOT been abandoned. Not even close. Portraying them as such is a gross misrepresentation of the facts.

Calendars simply have a few other things that came out as higher priority in the eyes of the user base. I realize some users don't like it, but that's not an excuse for changing the facts and resorting to hyperbole that just isn't true.

We now return you to constructive discussions about alternative options for calendars in the interim until custom calendars are completed within Realm Works...
MNBlockHead is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old February 8th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Calendars for me are important, for time and event tracking, not because I want/need some convoluted 19 day week 21 month monstrosity to admin.

What I have done in the past and will do again if need be:

Create an Excel spreadsheet, with 4 weeks and 7 days to a week in 12 one month tabs.

I then print a player copy for them to track important stuff by hand. This time however I will simply save a .xlsx file on the campaign share for all to use.

I will have my own copy on the GM share (so all systems can see it), and fill it out as needed.

End of day this simple calendar will allow me to track time, events and anything else I wish or need.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 8th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
Thanks, Rob. I knew this already, but felt I couldn't comfortably reply to this thread without ranting.
Sorry for provoking you into a near rant—were on the same side. I've corrected my inaccuracies and, hopefully, improved the tone of my original post.
MNBlockHead is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 8th, 2015, 02:57 PM
I know many of us have been laser-focused on implementing calendars within RW so that we can expand our linkages even further, but it is useful to recognize that there are a lot of really good solutions and ideas out in the wild already. Especially if what you are really seeking is moon phases, tides, seasons, etc. rather than linking.

Weather -- http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/weather/

Weather -- Dragon Magazine 137, page 34 (based on Earth-like setting by latitude range by terrain type by coastal/inland by climate category by month for temperature, precipitation and wind). There was an interesting Gnome Stew article about automating this using Excel a while back.

Calendars were touched on in Dragon Magazine 47, page 24 by Greenwood and Dragon Magazine 123, page 54 with some templates and page 60 by Moore.

I'd recommend checking out http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/calendars.htm for a variety of popular calendars. Of particular note, most popular published fantasy settings are 360-365 days in length.... Very Gregorian-able.

For Golarian, some folks create a modified Google calendar since the days/months mostly correspond to Gregorian.

For conversions, you may find a 10,000 year Gregorian calendar useful for matching things up over the ages. http://calendarhome.com/print-a-cale...ear-perpetual?
AEIOU is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old February 8th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Weogarth,

Thanks for the tip about MilieuSim's WeatherMaster. Seems like it would have been a great option. It is a shame they closed shop. Would have been nice if they had left it available as a free or paid unsupported version or opensourced it, but since that doesn't seem to be the case, I don't see how anyone who never bought a licensed copy back in the day can legally get and a copy now and use past the demo period.
I am not a lawyer and I respect LWD's position on copyrighted information, etc.

That being said, this is a product that has been unsupported by company that has gone out of business. It was a few years ago, but I did find ways to get the program and keep it working should you wish to invest the time in doing so.
weogarth is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old February 10th, 2015, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Sorry for provoking you into a near rant—were on the same side. I've corrected my inaccuracies and, hopefully, improved the tone of my original post.
Hey, no biggie. I think all of us who want calendars are (at best) frustrated by the delay.

For people who use the Forgotten Realms, here's a link to an online version of the calendar tool.

Edit: Found a link to the archive site where the tool can be downloaded.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works

Last edited by Chemlak; February 10th, 2015 at 03:50 AM.
Chemlak is offline   #20 Reply With Quote