Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Closed Thread

warsprite

Old February 5th, 2016, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
I don't have knowledge or time to fiddle with this. I bought it for convenience not the opposite.
I just wanted to play my cleric from it -but he's war domain so I can't.
Fantasy Grounds has the complete 5e core rules and a character management feature for creating new chars if you're willing to pay for the 5e add-ons at $50 a pop.
warsprite is offline   #21
Krimson

Send a message via MSN to Krimson Send a message via Yahoo to Krimson Send a message via Skype™ to Krimson

Old February 5th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd View Post
I love HL to bits, and use it when I can.
I'm chuffed that there's a 5e option now, but I know how limited this is at this time.
To that end, I'm happy with waiting another month or two (three at the outside) to see if a license agreement has been made before LW can take my money. I'm not in a hurry, as I'm not playing a 5e campaign at the moment, and if/when I do, I have another resource I can use for character management right now.
But, once HL has the license, I'll be whipping out the card faster than you can say Eric Robinson.
I would certainly be willing to pay more for a complete product that didn't require extensive modification in order to be usable.
Krimson is offline   #22
MNBlockHead

Old February 5th, 2016, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warsprite View Post
Fantasy Grounds has the complete 5e core rules and a character management feature for creating new chars if you're willing to pay for the 5e add-ons at $50 a pop.
If you want a virtual tabletop that doesn't integrate with RealmWorks. That said, I've had a DM demonstrate how he uses both RealmWorks and Fantasy Grounds for in-person games with a flat-panel display laid on the table as the battlemap. It was a neat set up.

I also have one remote player in my monthly 5e game that uses FG for managing his character and it seems to work well for him.

Personally, FG never really scratched my itch. HL will much better match my needs when the community fills in the gaps in the SRD or when LWD secures a full license from WoTC.

I know that many people, myself included, often buy software without doing a trial first and also skip over all the warning and license info. But I don't know how much more obvious LWD's warning could have been. I bought HL with the 5e SRD to support HL and to help LWD show WoTC that their is money to be made on making DnD 5e content available thorugh HL and RW.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #23
warsprite

Old February 6th, 2016, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
If you want a virtual tabletop that doesn't integrate with RealmWorks. That said, I've had a DM demonstrate how he uses both RealmWorks and Fantasy Grounds for in-person games with a flat-panel display laid on the table as the battlemap. It was a neat set up.

I also have one remote player in my monthly 5e game that uses FG for managing his character and it seems to work well for him.

Personally, FG never really scratched my itch. HL will much better match my needs when the community fills in the gaps in the SRD or when LWD secures a full license from WoTC.

I know that many people, myself included, often buy software without doing a trial first and also skip over all the warning and license info. But I don't know how much more obvious LWD's warning could have been. I bought HL with the 5e SRD to support HL and to help LWD show WoTC that their is money to be made on making DnD 5e content available thorugh HL and RW.
FG certainly has its strengths and short-comings. I was just offering Jeff M a possible alternative to Hero Lab. Personally, Hero Lab is a much better product for character generation than FG, but that's almost like comparing apples and oranges; they just have different foci...
warsprite is offline   #24
Krimson

Send a message via MSN to Krimson Send a message via Yahoo to Krimson Send a message via Skype™ to Krimson

Old February 6th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warsprite View Post
Already own them
Krimson is offline   #25
Alistair

Old February 7th, 2016, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
considering they probably don't want another incident like with the Mongoose Pocket Player's Handbook
considering they probably don't want another incident like Pathfinder

Fixed it for ya.
Alistair is offline   #26
threewolves

Old February 7th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Actually I got lucky. I play a dwarf Life Cleric with the acolyte background. So pretty much everything I need was already in the builder. I think only thing missing were a couple of spells.

I need to play around with it more, to make the special magic items that my dm has created.

But I look at it, like the D20 system and Army Builder. They built the framework, and the community fills in the blanks, till they get the license or not.
threewolves is offline   #27
Trumeg

Old February 9th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Having only used hero-lab with Pathfinder before, I was a little underwhelmed by the lack of content in the 5th edition package. I'm sure there will eventually be either fan made data-sets or official licensed material soon though.

I've read that some players have been able to add custom spells through the editor. I havent been able to find the "Spell" section. Am I missing something or is it tucked away in another tab somewhere?
Trumeg is offline   #28
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 9th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumeg View Post
I've read that some players have been able to add custom spells through the editor. I havent been able to find the "Spell" section. Am I missing something or is it tucked away in another tab somewhere?
Most likely in the "Magic" tab of the editor.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #29
Mergon

Old February 9th, 2016, 02:49 PM
What I paid for when I bought the 5e license for Hero Lab was the core code. With that I could add the rest of what didn't come with SRD.

Many of us had the same idea. Many of us in the Hero Lab community have been adding stuff to the Core since it became available.

It's not Lone Wolf's fault that WotC is so stingy with their licensing, or that they either create horrible Character Builders themselves, or that they chose lousy software builders to license the rights to when they finally do.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #30
Closed Thread