Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Talok55

Old December 2nd, 2016, 08:38 PM
My girlfriend has a PFS bone oracle with the raise the dead mystery that lets her summon zombies and skeletons with hit dice equal to her oracle level. How do I do this? Do I need to use different base creatures than a human?
Talok55 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talok55 View Post
My girlfriend has a PFS bone oracle with the raise the dead mystery that lets her summon zombies and skeletons with hit dice equal to her oracle level. How do I do this? Do I need to use different base creatures than a human?
Can you provide the full text of the boon?
Minous is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 3rd, 2016, 07:33 AM
Make sure the minion is set as an NPC, and then use the "Additional HD" option, which will be the very first thing on the Classes tab in the list of classes/templates.
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Talok55

Old January 6th, 2017, 05:37 AM
Raise the Dead (Su): As a standard action, you can summon a single skeleton or zombie to serve you. The undead creature has a number of Hit Dice equal to your oracle level. It remains for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier. At 7th level, you can summon a bloody skeleton or fast zombie. At 15th level, you can summon an advanced skeleton or zombie. You can use this ability once per day plus one additional time per day at 10th level.

The problem is it won't let me make an appropriate level human warrior and give them the zombie or skeleton template, so I have to find a humanoid race with the appropriate hit dice to turn into a zombie or skeleton. This is a major headache, plus it gives them unwanted racial abilities. It's not a minion. It's something you summon once a day for rounds equal to your charisma modifier.
Talok55 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old January 6th, 2017, 09:08 AM
I couldn't get it to let me build a Skeleton or Zombie with additional Hit Dice from scratch, but I found that if I loaded the basic Skeleton or Zombie from the Encounter Builder, it did let me add additional Hit Dice.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 6th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Talok55 - you say "it won't let me make an appropriate level human warrior and give them the zombie or skeleton template", but you don't say how Hero Lab stops you from doing that. Without knowing what's wrong, I can't figure out a way around that.

clarlieluce - in the configure hero settings, either make this a Non-Player Character, or in the House Rules section near the bottom, turn on "Allow PCs to add Bonus HD".
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 6th, 2017, 12:27 PM
The basic Skeleton and Zombie templates ignore Class levels.. that's how their rules work; only racial HD are converted, and Humans (as well as other Humanoids) don't have racial HD. So the templates specifically give 1 HD for Skeletons and 2 HD for Zombies as a base. That's all exactly as they're supposed to work.

There are separate templates (Skeletal Champion and Zombie Lord) that retain the Class Levels as well as adding the "Racial" HD. The Skeletal Champion is in the Bestiary 1, while the Zombie Lord was added later (originally in Carrion Crown).

The wording of the FAQ for this supports the method charlieluce mentioned -- start with the basic human Skeleton or Zombie and add HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder Advanced Players Guide FAQ
Oracle Bones Mystery: What exactly does the raise the dead revelation mean when it says you can summon a skeleton or zombie to serve you? Do I need a corpse? If not, can I just summon whatever I want, like a tarrasque fast zombie?
The raise the dead doesn’t require a corpse; you summon the creature (rising up out of the earth is a potential visual for this effect). You summon the base creature from the Bestiary in either case (human skeleton or human zombie) aside from the modifications from the revelation (adding extra HD, fast or bloody, and the advanced template). At the GM’s discretion, an oracle with a noticeably different body or bone structure might summon skeletons and zombies with this ability that look cosmetically more similar to the oracle than to a human, but this doesn’t affect their game mechanics.
Silveras is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 6th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talok55 View Post
The problem is it won't let me make an appropriate level human warrior and give them the zombie or skeleton template, so I have to find a humanoid race with the appropriate hit dice to turn into a zombie or skeleton. This is a major headache, plus it gives them unwanted racial abilities. It's not a minion. It's something you summon once a day for rounds equal to your charisma modifier.
I think the whole confusion here is that the ability to add "Additional Hit Dice" to your skeleton has been fixed. Fixed after you mentioned it in this thread actually.

To build onto what Silveras & Mathias are saying. Take a Human. Add skeleton template. Turn it into a NPC on the Configure Your Hero window or at the bottom of the Configure Your Hero window select "Allow PCs to add Bonus HD". Now go to the "Classes" tab and you will find you can add "Additional Hit Dice" to your Skeleton Human.

Ummm... Actually just tried this on my iPad and I can't find the Additional Hit Dice on the class tab. I thought this just got fixed? Is owning "one" of the Bestiary Licenses required to have this feature? I ask because I have a totally independent License for my iPad with only specific books which does not include Bestiaries.

Can anyone else see the ability to Add Additional Hit Dice on the Classes tab if you turn your character into a NPC?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 6th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Actually, I am not seeing the ability on Player Character or Non-Player Character creatures on my PC at this time.
Silveras is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old January 6th, 2017, 03:10 PM
That was the first thing I tried, Shadow. Didn't work. I didn't try the "Allow PCs to add Bonus HD" setting, but now doing so I see that it doesn't work for a character created as an NPC, but does work for a character created as a PC, even if it is then converted to an NPC.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #10 Reply With Quote