Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

Willpower

Old January 19th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know how to edit what is checked by PL? In using certain powers such as deflect, which requires an action, I don't see the purpose for limiting it to PL limits. It almost seems stupid to do so, because if you have a dodge of 12 in a PL 10 game, then Deflect would cap at 12 also, so you don't actually get any benefits from it since you can actively defend with dodge and get the same results. So I don't limit active defenses you need to give up your attack to use.

All the program does is tell me it is too high, so I am currently just ignoring that message as long as I can see that is based on an issue I have approved of, but I would like to turn it off for certain powers like that.
Willpower is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 19th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Yes, it's quite possible. Open up the editor and go to the Powers tab. Do New (Copy) and select the Deflect power. Note its Id of pwDeflect. You'll need it later. Give it a unique Unique Id up top (don't reuse the older name. "pwDeflect2" will work.). I also advise giving it a slightly different name like "Deflect (no PL limit)" so that you don't confuse the new and old power.

Go into the "Eval Rules" button to the right. There's the code for checking PL.
Quote:
~ Deflect is limited by PL
validif (hero.tagis[Hero.NoPLLimits] <> 0)

~ Find out how high deflect can go. The obvious way to do this is to just
~ get hero.child[defDodge].field[PLMax].value and use that as our limit,
~ but that doesn't work unless you've increased your Dodge skill to where
~ you want Deflect to be. So instead, get the maximum value for its
~ trade-off, Toughness - this is the "base" PL maximum, plus however much
~ it's over the limit (this can be negative if it's under the limit).
~ This solution was suggested by Duggan, so if it's wrong ask him how to
~ fix it ;)
var limit as number
limit = hero.child[defTough].field[PLBaseMax].value - hero.child[defTough].field[PLOver].value
validif (field[pwBaseRank].value <= limit)
@message = "Too many ranks - limited to " & limit & " ranks by Power Level"
And... it looks like you get to blame me for that one. Funnily, I don't even remember that one, but I did make some suggestions on PL-limited powers before, so it makes sense. Anyhow, delete the contents of that (you may have to put something in the Message field, but it will have no effect) and exit that dialog. Put the original name of pwDeflect in the "Replaces Thing Id" slot and save your User file. Click Test Now to use it.

Now, you can set your Deflect to any value you want. Note that there really is no limit at all now. A more nuanced solution might limit it to some sane value like 1.5 times PL. I can help you with that too if you'd like.

Regular powers, I don't know how to disable the check short of checking "No PL" when creating the character.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 29th, 2016, 05:37 AM
Adding the .user file for this.
Attached Files
File Type: email Deflect (No PL).user (1.6 KB, 1 views)
Duggan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote