Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
storeyl
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 33

Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:50 AM
Quote:
I use RW as my campaign/module/ adventure management before, during and after. My point is YOU CAN use it during a session; not that you have to. You have chosen not to do it during your sessions rather than it being a limitation of RW. By not using RW at the table you have made a personal decision not to leverage it's functionality
My point, and indeed your point above, seems to be that it was probably intended to be used during a session, and if you don't do that then it fails somewhat as the campaign management system I thought was being advertised.

I can't leverage what to me sounded like the primary functionality. I can put in but not get out the stuff I need for my campaign/sessions. At that point it is no longer a campaign management system that allows me to prepare my sessions etc in a way that is meaningful IMO. The marketing blurb is about campaign management, preparing sessions etc, but what it didn't really hammer home to me was that it was absolutely intended to be used during a session (as opposed to just another nice frilly feature). That goes beyond what a campaign management system needs to do and seems aimed at a more niche audience. Maybe a niche that is growing as old farts like me (and my group) move on.


Maybe when web access comes along I might re-evaluate. At that point I might consider getting a cheap tablet so that I can access my realm during play. I'd rather just print off the parts I want and stick to Pen and Paper.
storeyl is offline   #141 Reply With Quote
EightBitz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,437

Old March 3rd, 2015, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I use RW as my campaign/module/ adventure management before, during and after. My point is YOU CAN use it during a session; not that you have to. You have chosen not to do it during your sessions rather than it being a limitation of RW. By not using RW at the table you have made a personal decision not to leverage it's functionality.
People are passing on Realm Works because of the fact that it lacks functionality. People are refusing to purchase it because of the fact that it lacks functionality. People who've purchased it are refusing to use it because of the fact that it lacks functionality.

You can say that they're making a personal decision. That is certainly true. You cannot honestly gloss over the fact that they're making this decision due to the fact that Realm Works lacks functionality ... namely, the ability to print.

Realm Works lacks the ability to print. As great as its many other features are, it lacks the ability to print. This is a simple, true fact. I've seen many comments from people in other RPG forums where they turn away from Realm Works because of that simple, true fact.

I type something into my computer, I want to be able to print it out. This has been a basic feature of software since the first home PC. I've had an Apple II computer. I've had an Atari computer. I've had a Commodore Amiga. I've had an IBM desktop. I had a Magnavox notebook in the mid 90s.

With every computer I've owned, any software that allowed me to type and organize ideas and concepts has allowed me to print.

Now, along comes Realm Works (which is otherwise a very nice product), and we're supposed to all-of-a-sudden be OK with changing that basic, foundational paradigm?

Sorry, but no. I can understand LWD abiding by their survey results. I can understand them saying "we can't do everything at once, so we have to prioritize by popular vote". But I reject the premise that the limitation lies with the people who want to print instead of with the software. Because the limitation most definitely lies with the software.
EightBitz is offline   #142 Reply With Quote
AEIOU
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,147

Old March 3rd, 2015, 12:52 PM
My comments seem to be misconstued. I was responding in a snarky manner to Farling's statement directly above mine wherein he stated unequivocably that:

Quote:
RW is a computer-based GM aid, it isn't a tool for online gaming.

You would only use the online component after the game is finished (e.g. when you get home with your laptop).
And I totally disagree with that particular statement. RW is a tool for all gaming and you can indeed use it before, during and after a game if you choose to do so.

I am in total agreement that a major reason many people are not buying RW is because it lacks printing and export. This is essential functionality (not feature, not option, not add-on, not nice-to-have) that LWD promised for release in the Kickstarter but completely screwed the pooch on and has spent over a year now trying to gloss over and backpedal.
AEIOU is offline   #143 Reply With Quote
EightBitz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,437

Old March 3rd, 2015, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I am in total agreement that a major reason many people are not buying RW is because it lacks printing and export. This is essential functionality (not feature, not option, not add-on, not nice-to-have) that LWD promised for release in the Kickstarter but completely screwed the pooch on and has spent over a year now trying to gloss over and backpedal.
You are totally, absolutely wrong! You're overlooking the simple fact that - ummm, wait ... you ... agree? Errr ... uhhh ... ummm ... OK, then.
EightBitz is offline   #144 Reply With Quote
Farling
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Greater London, UK
Posts: 2,071

Old March 3rd, 2015, 11:56 PM
I hope you don't mind me correcting your wording a tiny bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I am in total agreement in thinking that a major reason many people are not buying RW is because it lacks printing and export. This is essential functionality (not feature, not option, not add-on, not nice-to-have) that LWD promised for release in the Kickstarter but completely screwed the pooch on and has spent over a year now trying to gloss over and backpedal.
(Since you don't really know whether "many" people won't buy because of no printing/export.)
Farling is offline   #145 Reply With Quote
EightBitz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,437

Old March 4th, 2015, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I hope you don't mind me correcting your wording a tiny bit...

(Since you don't really know whether "many" people won't buy because of no printing/export.)
Well, there's a good indication. Whenever I recommend the software to anyone, the inability to print is the most common response I get.

And I have never had anyone tell me, "I don't care if I can't print, but this other thing ..."
EightBitz is offline   #146 Reply With Quote
bgrimm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 16

Old March 4th, 2015, 03:43 AM
I've been on this bandwagon the entire ride, the inability to print has had me abandon Reamworks for gameplay.
I update it regularly in the hopes new features will add more usability, but printing is/was so fundamental that Realmworks goes unused in our gaming group.

My gaming group and the store one of the players owns are fundamentally pen and paper players. The inability to use Realmworks to print off occasional information to hand out to my players to consume at their leasure has put Realmworks on the shelf. I cannot get any of my players (one being the owner of the FLGS) to show any interesting in its use.

I'm all for tools and advancements, but basic usability (and freedom of use, not trapped in somones GUI) trumps tech any day.


-bg
bgrimm is offline   #147 Reply With Quote
AEIOU
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,147

Old March 4th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Fair enough, Farling. Thank you for calling me out on it. I do have a number of data points, every one of which aren't interested in RW specifically because they can't print or export and since they don't have the product they could care less about the forums or survey. But correlation does not imply causation.

I've argued my case numerous times and Rob recognizes that it's a very polarized issue. And he recognizes that he made statements in the past. He's not made promises but he has sort of indicated that very basic printing support may be doable in a semi-reasonable timeframe. Now all we can do is wait and bring it up every few months because LWD can only do so much with the size of their team.
AEIOU is offline   #148 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, IL (USA)
Posts: 10,683

Old March 4th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
And I have never had anyone tell me, "I don't care if I can't print, but this other thing ..."
HELLO! I don't care one bit for printing.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is online now   #149 Reply With Quote
EightBitz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,437

Old March 4th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
HELLO! I don't care one bit for printing.
OK, now I've had ONE person tell me, "I don't care if I can't print ..."
EightBitz is offline   #150 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.