Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dervish

Old November 5th, 2015, 08:17 PM
patience is a virtue the guys at d20pro are in talks with them and i am sure the team here is too and like rome it may take time to iron out the licencing for 5e and i am sure it is not going to be cheap like pathfinder content is
Dervish is offline   #211 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 5th, 2015, 08:37 PM
Yes, I'm sure it will move slowly. Good to know that d20pro is in talks with WoTC. Gives me hope for HL and RW.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #212 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 6th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Rob's post indicates that there may be some kind exclusivity clause in that contract for tools, but without seeing the actual signed contracts (which will likely never happen) we can only make guesses unless someone does an official press release. And fantasy grounds likely has more going than just character builder support at this point if it was part of their deal...

Also, for those who want to know... yes I've nearly completed my own 5e data files. I only have to finish a couple more things in them and they will be ready for data entry from the books.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.

Last edited by RavenX; November 16th, 2015 at 09:51 AM.
RavenX is offline   #213 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 16th, 2015, 03:03 PM
So, looks like the next major software licensee of DnD 5e content is a virtual-reality platform for playing DnD.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news...irtual-reality

Sigh...when will WoTC give us AT-TABLE players some love?

MNBlockHead is offline   #214 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 16th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Sigh...when will WoTC give us AT-TABLE players some love?
When guys like Wil Wheaton quit throwing money at them? To be honest I was angry when I read this because it's not something that is going to be in the realm of affordability for most people. Is it nice? Yes. Is it practical and affordable? Not likely. Guys that are rich can afford it, but for the rest of us this is just a fancy item we will never get to use outside of a convention.

I am not going to be the guy dropping a couple grand into something like this.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #215 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 16th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Maybe I'm turning into an old guy that doesn't understand the new generation, but I don't see the appeal. A VTT like Roll20 or even something with a higher learning curve like Fantasy Grounds seems easier to use and more visually appealing. The graphics in AltspaceVR look like they would just get in the way. Maybe I just need to experience a game.

Let's hope that this is good news and that WoTC is slowly but surely expanding the number and variety of software they will license content for.

MNBlockHead is offline   #216 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old November 16th, 2015, 05:55 PM
OMG, the video on that page looks like garbage. Their VR work looks so 1990's that they have to intercut Drizzit animations to make it look "exciting".

I think WotC really have missed the boat with digital tools. All they had to do was licence someone like LW & Hero Lab to be on board from the start. Instead they ditched whoever that original lot was & Fantasy Grounds is so expensive it's stupid.

It doesn't matter how good 5E actually is, but without decent quality & decently priced digital tools, they just don't cut the mustard in this day & age.
DMG is offline   #217 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old November 16th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
OMG, the video on that page looks like garbage. Their VR work looks so 1990's that they have to intercut Drizzit animations to make it look "exciting".
That's not entirely true. 1990's were a lot better than that piece of bullshit.
wurzel is offline   #218 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old November 17th, 2015, 07:35 AM
So where does it say Wil Wheaton threw money at them for this? Honestly WotC will let whoever gives them more money do the stuff. They stopped caring about the game when they stopped working on it in house. Most 5E books are now done by 2PP (publisher writing in another's IP) like Kobold Press and Green Ronin.

Look at how much FG charges for each pack of the very little material that's out there. Can you imagine HL customers actually willing to pay prices like that for the material? I know I never would and I've got A LOT of money invested in HL.
AndrewD2 is offline   #219 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 17th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Well, given the quality and popularity of the 5e books, they are doing something right. The community involvement in the development of 5e during DnD next showed a commitment to the community. I'm sure being part of Hasbro ties their hands quite a bit. But having the "evil suits" involved isn't totally a bad thing. It seems that whenever the nerds were totally in charge they drove DnD into the ground. WoTC saved the property when TSR was crash and burning only to give too much away with their OGL.

Like you, I found FG prices too high, but that was in part because I didn't see much value add for at-table play. I may very well pay those prices for that content in HL, given the ability to integrate with RW and the demonstrable at-table value that HL would bring.

Even more, I probably would pay to have the core rules in RW. I think it would be better to loyal customers to give those who bought the book some kind of discount on digital content, or/and vice versa, but even if the content was priced the same as or even higher than the books, the time saved and convenience provided by having that content in RW may make it worth it.

Like anything else, it will have to work itself out in the market.

MNBlockHead is offline   #220 Reply With Quote