Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Vampyre

Old May 17th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Hi all,

It's me again with my very stupid questions. I noticed I could create a stat block. I also noticed it's possible to import it from HL (which I don't own yet, still figuring out if I could design a full system in it). When I wanted to create one, I had a blank HTML page. And now I'm lost.

Could you tell me what exactly are stat blocks ? I thought I would have different fields in which to fill with characters stats, but... Yeah, still very lost with that. How do you guys use the stats blocks ?

Many thanks

Vampyre
Vampyre is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 18th, 2014, 01:18 AM
It's just the text/HTML/Word Document/whatever of the character's stats in a format that the players and/or GMs of the system will recognize. If you've seen a modern D&D or Pathfinder module, you know that all the NPC and monster stats look the same. In Realm Works, a stat block snippet is a place for you to put this type of information. As you've discovered, it's likely something you'd set up with a game-specific tool (or Word or whatever) and paste or import into the character's entry in Realm Works.

Last edited by Parody; May 18th, 2014 at 01:22 AM.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old May 18th, 2014, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the fast answer.

Yeap I can see easily it could be very time consuming doing this manually (if I have to do that for every single NPC I could have in a campaign). I see the advantages of it (having all the stats required by a NPC at my disposal, without the need to search for it), but to take full advantage of such blocks, I should most probably do the work only once in HL.

Thanks for the answer ! And good gaming !
Vampyre is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old May 20th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Okay guys,

After having searched and searched again, I finally managed to have an idea of what a stat block was. This is the stat block I just finished. I had it designed inside libre office, but for a reason, I couldn't import it inside RW. So I managed doing it all just inside RW, and now I have my statblock.

What's even better, is that I can save it as being empty, and call it at will for any new stat block, so I have a nice integrity in my stat blocks. Very happy.

For any comments, feel free to do so (and yes, I'm french speaking )
Vampyre is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 24th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I'm also having a problem with stat blocks. I like what you did, but how did you create that inside RW? When I go to edit stat blocks I get a blank document page, if it is in HTML I am screwed because I don't know HTML.

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 24th, 2014, 10:58 PM
It's edited the same way you edit any text snippet; the presentation is just different. To do a table you can insert a table (on the right end of the Format ribbon) and do the formatting yourself, paste in from Excel, copy from the web, or however else you'd normally do it.

Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old May 25th, 2014, 01:36 AM
As you say, when you edit the stat block, you get a blank page. From there, as Parody mentioned it, I created a table, and played with it, merging cells, dividing others, and formatting them.

The very same as you do in Excel. Personally I don't have Excel, and copying pasting from Libre Office just imported the text. So, I did it in a table in the editor. No need for HTML knowledge, it's just like a word processor.
Vampyre is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old May 25th, 2014, 07:29 AM
That's a great looking stat block. Concise and well organized. Nicely done.
AEIOU is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 25th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
As you say, when you edit the stat block, you get a blank page. From there, as Parody mentioned it, I created a table, and played with it, merging cells, dividing others, and formatting them.

The very same as you do in Excel. Personally I don't have Excel, and copying pasting from Libre Office just imported the text. So, I did it in a table in the editor. No need for HTML knowledge, it's just like a word processor.
I didn't think it would be that easy. The character sheets I use are at least two pages with the stats and other info on the first page and the skills/spells on the second page. So I'll just copy and paste everything into RW. Thanks everyone!

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #9 Reply With Quote