Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

mirtos

Old March 13th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I see people mention "kickstarter" allot for this stuff and don't think they realize it is not some magical savior of IT projects. It works great for building a large sum of money to pay a Manufacturing Plant that already has its dies built and ready to go. Then yes the Manufacturing plant can mass produce the product.
Well said.
mirtos is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old March 13th, 2015, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Throwing money or people at a project does not mean the project gets done faster. In example if I put 2,700 women in a room I don't get a baby in one day.

New people to a project actually "slows" a project down why time/resources are spent getting the new programmer up to speed. In very custom built software areas like RW it could take as long as 6 months before that new programmer is not a drain on resources. This is why when the RW team actually lost a programmer they where not replaced. It would have just made things worse.

I see people mention "kickstarter" allot for this stuff and don't think they realize it is not some magical savior of IT projects. It works great for building a large sum of money to pay a Manufacturing Plant that already has its dies built and ready to go. Then yes the Manufacturing plant can mass produce the product.
Very true. It really only works to create an expansion of the existing, or run the project up initially. (Crowdsourcing is also likewise only useful if the people know exactly what is going on and the focus points and goals from start to finish so they don't mess up the later goals with errant, yet correct coding.)

I'm more just sad I couldn't contribute first time around, and it was a misplaced attempt to wish it could retroactively change.

-

Back to the topic at hand, I understand the cloud is the data repository, but could a dinky little virtual server be set up on a local area network just for the player view business during a game session?

i.e. the players could sync at the start of the session, and as long as the GM doesn't update any information, the players would just get the revealed snippets.
If the GM updates something with edited or new information, that sync behaviour would terminate and there would be a "Sync Required" dialog box and the players would need to re-sync the realm and reconnect to start receiving these updates again, preventing the need for all this crazy push and poll business - it would be a simple query and sending back a packet if anything's changed.

Thoughts?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"
McTaff is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 14th, 2015, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff View Post
Back to the topic at hand, I understand the cloud is the data repository, but could a dinky little virtual server be set up on a local area network just for the player view business during a game session?

i.e. the players could sync at the start of the session, and as long as the GM doesn't update any information, the players would just get the revealed snippets.
I suspect that when a Player syncs to the server, he is only given the snippets which are revealed by the GM. (Otherwise unscrupulous players could just hack the local database to see everything.)

If the GM reveals some snippets, then the Player version would have to sync to the main server in order to download the newly revealed snippets. (Whilst snippets no longer revealed would have their information deleted from the Player's local database).
Farling is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old March 14th, 2015, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff View Post
I'm more just sad I couldn't contribute first time around, and it was a misplaced attempt to wish it could retroactively change.
I know that feeling...

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old March 14th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I suspect that when a Player syncs to the server, he is only given the snippets which are revealed by the GM. (Otherwise unscrupulous players could just hack the local database to see everything.)

If the GM reveals some snippets, then the Player version would have to sync to the main server in order to download the newly revealed snippets. (Whilst snippets no longer revealed would have their information deleted from the Player's local database).
Yes, I suspect a similar behaviour, also video files doing this would be a few megabytes at a time, which is inefficient use of bandwidth server-side.

But I guess unless a LWD dev comes in and can knock this one out of the park, we would never know (aside from someone messing with upload/downloads and testing it all - still doesn't actually answer the original question though.)

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"
McTaff is offline   #35 Reply With Quote