Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Silveras

Old November 6th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Tablet support would be fantastic. And that's what the GM version on the web would provide. It's also a good option for older laptops as the processing and loading would be limited by the internet rather than the CPU/memory.
I don't think anyone is saying not to do any kind of web version for GMs... waht I do think people are saying is that they don't want the GM's option to eventually be web-only.. which is what it sounds like is the plan.
Silveras is offline   #91 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 6th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
I don't think anyone is saying not to do any kind of web version for GMs... waht I do think people are saying is that they don't want the GM's option to eventually be web-only.. which is what it sounds like is the plan.
<sigh>

That is NOT what I said, nor is it even possible to infer that conclusion from what I said. I was VERY clear on exactly what I was saying. Here it is again, verbatim from my post up-thread, since apparently it wasn't clear enough the first time...

So it's going to take quite some time to ultimately get the web version to the same level as the desktop. By that point, internet access may be so ubiquitous that it makes sense to phase out the desktop version, or the desktop may still be necessary. I have no idea, and anyone who asserts otherwise is making rash assumptions about the future. So we'll just have to figure that out down the road.

To translate, what I said is I DON'T KNOW what the future will be, and NOBODY ELSE does either.
rob is offline   #92 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old November 7th, 2016, 04:17 AM
@Rob:

Thank you for the clarification for the more dimwitted of us :-)

I will sleep a little easier tonight.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #93 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old November 7th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
<sigh>

That is NOT what I said, nor is it even possible to infer that conclusion from what I said. I was VERY clear on exactly what I was saying. Here it is again, verbatim from my post up-thread, since apparently it wasn't clear enough the first time...

So it's going to take quite some time to ultimately get the web version to the same level as the desktop. By that point, internet access may be so ubiquitous that it makes sense to phase out the desktop version, or the desktop may still be necessary. I have no idea, and anyone who asserts otherwise is making rash assumptions about the future. So we'll just have to figure that out down the road.

To translate, what I said is I DON'T KNOW what the future will be, and NOBODY ELSE does either.
I don't think many missed your point, think of it as more of a show of support for what we love about your product currently.

Yes no one can predict the future, but how many people have said "bah we will never leave the union, I don't need to voice my support......."

???

That's what my post was, and what it was intended to achieve. Show my support for what I like, to help the future.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #94 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 7th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I don't think many missed your point, think of it as more of a show of support for what we love about your product currently.

Yes no one can predict the future, but how many people have said "bah we will never leave the union, I don't need to voice my support......."

???

That's what my post was, and what it was intended to achieve. Show my support for what I like, to help the future.
The other point to that, too, is that when someone who is a principal of the company, and who has a great deal of say in the direction of the particular product, speculates aloud... that speculation is often seen as an insight into the thinking at the company. And, in that, it is indeed better to speak up now rather than later.
Silveras is offline   #95 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 7th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
The other point to that, too, is that when someone who is a principal of the company, and who has a great deal of say in the direction of the particular product, speculates aloud... that speculation is often seen as an insight into the thinking at the company. And, in that, it is indeed better to speak up now rather than later.
That makes perfect sense. But that's not the problem here. Not in the slightest, since I never said anything about planning to abandon the desktop. I specifically said I had no idea what the future held in this regard. If you read my post (#92) and your comment that I responded to, you quite clearly drew conclusions that I very specifically countered in my original post on the matter. To wit, the closing phrase "which is what it sounds like is the plan".

My goal is to be open. However, even when I'm painfully explicit, my words gets twisted around and result in either alarm and/or propagation of misinformation. This is a somewhat common occurrence and not limited to this specific thread. It feels like the old adage "No good deed goes unpuninshed". And it gives me pause before sharing anything again in the future, since all it does is create more work dealing with the "fallout" from those who can't just accept my words as the honest truth. Keep that in mind as I become less forthcoming about things in the future.
rob is offline   #96 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 8th, 2016, 04:21 AM
There are people who make it there life's work to over react to things posted on the web.

When you get a social media person up to speed you can leave it to them to deal with that sort of stuff and not worry about it. I don't think anyone else misunderstood your posts.
kbs666 is offline   #97 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 8th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Rob speaks straight. I know, I know, it's sometimes fun to "read into" what he says and try to tease out more information than he's willing to divulge. But in the end, he says exactly what he means and he strives to fulfill what he says. He doesn't spout hyperbole and he doesn't stroke egos. I have great respect for him and LWD.

Rob -- Please don't stop keeping us informed. We value your insights, your vision and your guidance as we all try to wrap our heads around the future of gaming. I know it's hard to handcraft every response to say exactly what you mean. RW is hard too.... We need you as part of this community, not just as a programmer. We need you.
AEIOU is offline   #98 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old November 9th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Rob speaks straight. I know, I know, it's sometimes fun to "read into" what he says and try to tease out more information than he's willing to divulge. But in the end, he says exactly what he means and he strives to fulfill what he says. He doesn't spout hyperbole and he doesn't stroke egos. I have great respect for him and LWD.

Rob -- Please don't stop keeping us informed. We value your insights, your vision and your guidance as we all try to wrap our heads around the future of gaming. I know it's hard to handcraft every response to say exactly what you mean. RW is hard too.... We need you as part of this community, not just as a programmer. We need you.
Ditto
jkthomsen9 is offline   #99 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old November 9th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Plus one!

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #100 Reply With Quote