Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kbs666

Old November 2nd, 2016, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
Does it really make that big a difference to you? Will your players even care?

I don't think any of my players could be bothered to look it up. I'm sure they would just accept whatever I or the DM of the session decided and go with it. I'd be willing to wager "one dolla" that 80+ percent of players wouldn't care either.

'Trading Places' reference there...
I could easily envision a setup not unlike the one that existed in Europe around the defeat of the Spanish Armada as an interesting setting for an RPG. Having the calendars be almost the same but offset by 2 weeks would be an interesting way to establish which side of the border the PC's were on.
kbs666 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys. I've just spent two hours reading about the differences between Julian, Gregorian, solar, lunar, and the Persian calendars, as well as Atomic time and UT1. Interesting, but not useful to my current game. :P
Mystic Lemur is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 4th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Lemur View Post
Thanks guys. I've just spent two hours reading about the differences between Julian, Gregorian, solar, lunar, and the Persian calendars, as well as Atomic time and UT1. Interesting, but not useful to my current game. :P
I made the mistake of saying something bad about C++'s time and date handling during class in college. I found myself writing a paper and accompanying program to convert time and date between any time and date between any of about a dozen calendars. I learned way more about calendar systems than I ever wanted to.
kbs666 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old November 4th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I could easily envision a setup not unlike the one that existed in Europe around the defeat of the Spanish Armada as an interesting setting for an RPG. Having the calendars be almost the same but offset by 2 weeks would be an interesting way to establish which side of the border the PC's were on.
Setups like this were extremely common. E.g. the city states of Renaissance Italy used to start their years on different days while using the same calendar.

So, confusing / conflicting calendars can come in quite handy in a variety of plots. I have used it successfully in murder mystery and politcal intrigue.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #14 Reply With Quote