Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

JustinThomason

Old July 21st, 2019, 10:26 AM
I've been using Realm Works since release, but I've really only used it to manage fairly specific campaigns. Specifically I've used it by copy/pasting out of adventure path pdfs. I'm looking to start my group in Eberron, and my intention is to build a master realm with the canon material from the source books, but with the intention of importing that into a new realm for each Eberron campaign I start up.

Since I haven't leveraged the import/export functions too much, I want to make sure I'm not going to paint myself into a corner before I start entering a lot of data. I'm hoping someone with more experience using these functions can let me know if my basic strategy will work.

I intend to start out putting in basic world information into a master realm. When I start a campaign, I'll export the master realm and import it to create the new campaign realm. I know the master realm will be a LOOOOOOOONG term project, so as I add info to the master realm, I'm intending to re-export to bring the new information into the individual campaign realms.

Mostly I want to make sure that I understand how the import/export function works. My understanding is following the above process will mean that any new topics or snippets added to the master realm since the last import will be added to the campaign realm without overwriting or removing any changes made to the campaign realm. Is that correct? Does anyone have a better strategy for this sort of application in Realm Works?

Thanks for any input. I'm still conceptualizing how I want to organize the material, so I haven't started data entry yet. I figured it was the best time to do a quick check to make sure I wasn't going down a blind alley.
JustinThomason is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 21st, 2019, 10:39 AM
Yes, exporting from a master realm to a child realm should work.

Don't try exporting from the child realm back to the master realm though.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dgagnon99

Old August 3rd, 2019, 02:49 PM
I have started something similar with the 5E SRD, adding all of the missing material from the MM, PH and DMG. My question is more with regard to the links. Will they be preserved? Some topics/entries have sometime between 10 to 20 links and I would like to avoid having to re-do the linkage (very time consuming).
dgagnon99 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 3rd, 2019, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgagnon99 View Post
I have started something similar with the 5E SRD, adding all of the missing material from the MM, PH and DMG. My question is more with regard to the links. Will they be preserved? Some topics/entries have sometime between 10 to 20 links and I would like to avoid having to re-do the linkage (very time consuming).
Material that is linked maintain the links in the export.

If you import into an existing realm that might now link to the new material you should do a scan for new links after the import.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old August 9th, 2019, 08:09 AM
You could also do your master realm in pieces.
If you want say spells, feats and classes.
Have a realm for each of those.

Then your new campaign can import from each of the source realms.
That way, your master realm can be worked on in pieces.
Ualaa is offline   #5 Reply With Quote