Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Asandir

Old October 12th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Good afternoon.

A question for folks. I am looking at running the Ironfang Invasion Adventure path. I've never bought an adventure path for Hero Lab before. Lots of other content. I'd just like to get some input on the advantages and what folks that have bought them have thought about them and using them for running a game. Basically sell me on purchasing it.

I appreciate the consideration.

Thank You.

Asandir

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
Asandir is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old October 12th, 2018, 01:15 PM
I've run around 85% of the way through the Iron Gods AP using the Hero Lab encounter library, and for my purposes it has saved me a bunch of time and money: money because it's the first Pathfinder campaign that I've run and it saved me from having to buy a bunch of Bestiary packages, and time because I didn't have to build the encounters and NPCs myself (while still being free to adjust them for my player's party size and build).

I'm not sure what the group is going to do after we're done with the Pathfinder 2nd Playtest and Iron Gods, but should I end up running another Pathfinder 1st AP (or possibly the Emerald Spire Megadungeon) I fully intend to buy the Hero Lab library for it.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old October 12th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Even basically owning everything for Pathfinder, I find the adventure path files to be very useful.

Mainly on the time saving...

You could run the encounter, as is, if your group was at the intended power curve of what the author assumed.
Load the portfolio for that room/area, and you're good.

I basically load the portfolio, enable my default sources, and save.
For example, I bought the HL files for 'Rise of the Drow' on Drive Thru RPG dot com; by default that source was not active for some reason... but if you're using something like Spheres of Power, you'd want to activate that etc.

As far as Lone Wolf sources go, I've bought Rise of the Runelords, Iron Gods, Emerald Spire, and Summoner's Sidekick. All have been very useful.
Ualaa is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Asandir

Old October 12th, 2018, 06:57 PM
our group is never at the intended power curve. LOL. We have a large group, minimum is 6 players, usually have 10.

Asandir is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old October 12th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I have six players and PCs were built on 25 points with an extra Trait/Feat for the less "gifted" races, so I have to beef up the encounters for the group.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old October 12th, 2018, 10:04 PM
All my players optimize, to varying degrees of success.
We're never at the intended power level either, I generally need to modify things a fair bit.

Still, having the kernel of what the adventure path assumes, and modifying or adding to that helps.
It's easy enough to modify one, out of four things, delete the other three and then clone five or six of the one that had a template added or whatever.
Ualaa is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old October 13th, 2018, 08:45 AM
I ran Temple of Elemental Evil using MapTool and, I admit, I'm a bit OCD-ish so I used the PDF and copy/pasted the entire stat block and accompanying text into the token so that I'd have it available. I wrote a Perl script to clean up the pasted text because ... well, PDFs. Then I had a macro that read the stat block from the token and assigned values to various properties.

That scheme took me days to develop and weeks to perfect, and it significantly cut down on the time required to prep an area, but I would've paid dearly for the ability to skip all of that! (It just wasn't an option at the time I was running that campaign.)

Having prebuilt encounters is definitely worth the money, IMO.
Azhrei is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Asandir

Old October 22nd, 2018, 12:37 PM
Thanks all for the input, I elected to go ahead and purchase the Ironfang Invasion Adventure path material.

Asandir is offline   #8 Reply With Quote