Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - World of Darkness

Notices

Noctifer

Old January 11th, 2013, 05:58 AM
...this may not actually be a bug, depending on how you view the MET rules for WoD.

From the MET World of Darkness book, pp. 310-311:

"Note that some Merits can be purchased all at once, while others must be purchased one dot at a time. Merits that increase incrementally and/or bestow different benefits at each dot, such as Fighting Styles, must be purchased dot by dot. Merits such as Inspiring that confer only one benefit are purchased all at once. For example, Peter’s character has two dots in Fighting Style: Boxing and Peter wants to raise it to three dots. Later in the chronicle he wants his character to acquire the Inspiring Merit. Assuming he receives Storyteller permission and justifies the trait increases in-game, a third dot in the Fighting Style Merit costs six experience points (new dots x 2). By contrast, Inspiring’s four dots are acquired all at once and cost eight experience points. Peter can’t go from no dots in Fighting Style to three dots. He first needs to acquire one and then two dots on separate occasions."

I take this to be something of an errata to the tabletop rules, which is much more vague on how Merits are purchased.

Herolab's World of Darkness package doesn't currently include the differences in XP cost between incremental Merits and flat-rate Merits. While I understand this might not be viewed as a bug if you take the stance that its one of the differences between the tabletop rules and the LARP rules, I'm using HeroLab to design LARP characters, so I need to fix this.

I'm more than happy to do the edits to flat-rate Merits myself, but I'm uncertain of how to code the change in XP cost. I've a basic understanding of how to use the Editor (I've used it for both Pathfinder and WoD), creating new Merits, Bloodlines, etc. My problem is writing up the script to the XP cost.

Any hints/suggestions/help is appreciated.
Noctifer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Pali

Old January 13th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I'm sorry to say this, but WoD isn't supported anymore.
If you want to have this aspect changed, you have to do it by your own.
Pali is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Noctifer

Old January 13th, 2013, 05:59 PM
That I know... what I'm asking is how to script this myself (or something to point me in the right direction)
Noctifer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Noctifer

Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:36 AM
Hrm... no suggestions?
Noctifer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Xenesis

Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:02 PM
I remember this particular wrinkle driving me batty for ages - It's something that is in MET, but not in the Tabletop. (Or now is in the tabletop with the new God Machine rules revision).

The only thing I've found so far in the code that would help with stuff like that would be the discount eval script that some Vampire Clans and Changeling Kiths get:

This is the Artificer's Blessing one (CtL, Manakin Kith), which makes Artifice go from 6xDot to 5xDot
Code:
      perform hero.assign[Discount1.cArtifice]
You could try applying this discount to merits (although that'd take a while), but I think manually adjusting the cost is going to be the only really effective way to do it.
Xenesis is offline   #5 Reply With Quote