Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
jlong05
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Author
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ USA
Posts: 277
Send a message via MSN to jlong05

Old October 22nd, 2019, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I imagine it is because of their current staffing reduction combined with an application that probably doesn't sell very well any more. If it took them 3 man months (~ $40k) to do, how long to recoup their costs?
Their current staffing doesn't explain ignoring it for a year+ prior to those staffing changes. Its just another example of how they have diversified themselves into irrelevancy because they now cannot keep up wit the demands of modern times on their software development.

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Toblakai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 435

Old October 22nd, 2019, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong05 View Post
Their current staffing doesn't explain ignoring it for a year+ prior to those staffing changes. Its just another example of how they have diversified themselves into irrelevancy because they now cannot keep up wit the demands of modern times on their software development.
Their development has been underwater for the last two years.

I don't know, because I don't use it, but is AB worth the the investment at this point? How well does it sell? Assuming 40K to fix it, will they sell 1000 Mac copies (because it still runs fine on windows) to break even?
Toblakai is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
jlong05
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Author
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ USA
Posts: 277
Send a message via MSN to jlong05

Old October 22nd, 2019, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Their development has been underwater for the last two years.

I don't know, because I don't use it, but is AB worth the the investment at this point? How well does it sell? Assuming 40K to fix it, will they sell 1000 Mac copies (because it still runs fine on windows) to break even?
So you are saying that the cost to recompile an app from 32bit to 64bit needs 1000 new sales to pay for that cost? As for AB, it was the core of Lonewolf sales and what paved the road for Herolab and others. No matter what you say to support them, itís still crap that they knew for over a year this was coming and never bothered to address the situation. itís just par for the course for Lonewolf. I have been around long enough I feel comfortable saying this is our norm. It sucks, but it is what it is. Unless we want to use other tools, we just have to accept our purchases have limited shelf life here. AB is dead, CV is dead, RW is Dead, and HLC is dead. Itís just a matter of time for HLO to fall by the wayside and LW move on to the next shiney they promote.

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Toblakai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 435

Old October 23rd, 2019, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong05 View Post
So you are saying that the cost to recompile an app from 32bit to 64bit needs 1000 new sales to pay for that cost? As for AB, it was the core of Lonewolf sales and what paved the road for Herolab and others. No matter what you say to support them, itís still crap that they knew for over a year this was coming and never bothered to address the situation. itís just par for the course for Lonewolf. I have been around long enough I feel comfortable saying this is our norm. It sucks, but it is what it is. Unless we want to use other tools, we just have to accept our purchases have limited shelf life here. AB is dead, CV is dead, RW is Dead, and HLC is dead. Itís just a matter of time for HLO to fall by the wayside and LW move on to the next shiney they promote.
Technically, I said 1000 new MAC sales. This is from experience on 64 bit conversion which I have done now to two large c++ projects at two different companies. Plus the app still works perfectly fine on 90% of PC's out there, plus whatever percentage of mac users that won't/can't upgrade to the latest and not greatest (from what I have read) version of Mac OS.
Toblakai is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,412

Old October 23rd, 2019, 08:40 AM
As a fellow developer, moving to 64 bit isn't always just a matter of recompiling. And, of course, they can't really afford to release even a recompiled project without extensive testing. They don't want the headline of the day to be "New version of Army Builder released. Melts user computers when Japanese language settings turned on. Lone Wolf possibly holding anti-Japanese sentiment?"
Duggan is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
jtisdel
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 40

Old October 23rd, 2019, 06:37 PM
Okay - so their main competition is freeware. They need to distinguish themselves from that. One way is user service. Their Mac port has always been a “red headed step child” but with a year’s warning its just poor project management to not have it ready.
jtisdel is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
jlong05
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Author
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ USA
Posts: 277
Send a message via MSN to jlong05

Old October 23rd, 2019, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtisdel View Post
Okay - so their main competition is freeware. They need to distinguish themselves from that. One way is user service. Their Mac port has always been a ďred headed step childĒ but with a yearís warning its just poor project management to not have it ready.
And this is my point. I get it. Other maintainers continue to support and defend poor planning. Iím just tired of doing it and am calling it out now. Since the Realmworks fiasco, the constant excuse of developer this and developer that, I just canít excuse poor planning with a year+ alert. If AB is dead and no longer being supported, then they should be saying that and not selling it with the expectation of continued functionality. Sucks if youíre a new Mac owner. I guess go buy an old Mac and run an old os that isnít patched for security purposes now cause AB isnít being update.

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.