Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gatlin

Old August 26th, 2017, 02:41 PM
How would you write the Linguist Edge so that it adds a bonus number of knowledge skills rather than languages?

I want languages to have a skill die associated, so I want the edge to add a bonus number of skill points.
Gatlin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 26th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Knowledge skills are major pains in the backside.

When creating the edge, bootstrap each skKnow. Set a field with an ID of domDomain and a value of "Language1" - action is ASSIGN.

The create an Eval Script, Pre-traits, Priority 5000

Quote:
~This will offset the cost:
perform #resspent[resSkill,-,1,"Free Knowledge"]
~This will increase the Skill
foreach pick in hero where "thingid.skKnow"
if ( compare(lowercase(eachpick.field[domDomain].text),lowercase("Language1") ) = 0) then
eachpick.field[trtBonus].value += 2
endif
nexteach
I am pretty sure that this will create a KNOWLEDGE (Language1) skill at a d8.
Topdecker is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 27th, 2017, 04:38 AM
It's also the 2nd example in the Common Code Examples thread stickied on this forum, in case you have other kinds of things like that you might want to see if you can find it there first, if that helps any.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Gatlin

Old August 27th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Is there a way to add a number of bonus knowledge skills based of the character's Smarts die? Unless I'm mistaken, the examples given will give a single skill for free or increase the die.
Gatlin is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 28th, 2017, 05:30 AM
Well, you'd have to nest the add code in a for-loop that iterates on the Smarts die, but you'd also have to change the name (that "Language1" part in the example above) for each one you do. I'm not sure if you can nest a variable in quotes or not. I'd have to really do some playing around to see if I could figure out the code to use I just don't really have the time to do that, but maybe someone else here can figure it out better than I.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 28th, 2017, 06:18 AM
Try SETTING ADJUST tab --> MULTIPLE LANGUAGES? checkbox as a work around. I believe that it enables precisely what you are trying to accomplish.
Topdecker is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 28th, 2017, 02:04 PM
No, that turns on the standard Multiple Languages setting, but NOT as Knowledge Skills. You could probably get the base code to wrap the knowledge skill code with by finding that in the source code files, though.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 28th, 2017, 05:58 PM
The issue is that you can't add picks to the character like that. Each Knowledge Skill is a separate pick. It's either there or it isn't, you can't make it conditional.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Gatlin

Old August 30th, 2017, 06:48 PM
Hmm...is there a way to add a bonus number of skill points based of Smarts? That way you could just put a warning in that says you have to use the bonus points for languages, similar to the Elderly edge or the College Boy edge from Weird Wars.
Gatlin is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old August 31st, 2017, 10:20 AM
You should be able to. I've added skill points, and done things based on Smarts, so there should be syntax to do both, but I'm too busy to figure it out right now.
Paragon is offline   #10 Reply With Quote