Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

pyremius

Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:15 AM
I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned before, but the search functions don't accept words like "map" or "pin".

First, I expect this will be very difficult to implement, but I'd like to make the request anyhow. The short version is I would like to request the ability to create an arbitrary area (I'll call them Masks, for now) to use as a Pin for linking content. The idea for this request came from entering Pins for all of the locations from the Skulls and Shackles maps, and then having to go into the new objects and assign Containers.

I envision this working similarly to the reverse of Fog of World: you start with no mask on the map, and add it to the area you wish to define. These Masks would correspond to the existing Pin types, and would hopefully interact with the rest of the software in the same way. Mask categories could be enabled or disabled as desired, making it possible to only see "Geographic" Masks, or "Political" Masks (or both, to see what territories are contested).

The second part of this request is adding the option to set auto-containers for new Pins or Masks. The idea is that once I create a Nation Mask, any Community Pin placed within that area will automatically have the Container set to appropriate Nation. In each case, the default Container is one step above the current selection, so as an example, placing a Pin for the Community of Fort Wayne would Contain it within Indiana, instead of the United States. An option to Change Containers when a new Mask is created would be a great secondary option. In the above example, if I had started with the United States Nation Mask and not created any States, when I went back to add a Mask for Indiana I could have it change the Container for all enclosed Community Objects from the United States to Indiana.
pyremius is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:35 AM
+1

(Extra text)

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:51 AM
Quote:
The idea is that once I create a Nation Mask, any Community Pin placed within that area will automatically have the Container set to appropriate Nation.
Interesting idea.

But how would you handle exceptions or things that cross boundaries? I really don't want the party to know that the headquarters for IBM is really in North Korea. Or that I need to create a doughnut mask so a native American reservation which has limited sovereignty can have its political boundaries respected. Or that a city that sits on both sides of border is automatically attributed to one side or the other. Many geographic entities are really big. People can have dual citizenships.

I have enough trouble with RW providing the right choice for Adderwood (the forest) and Adderwood (the town). Automation sounds good but it needs to be be able to be tuned (at which point is it worth the trouble?).
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I really don't want the party to know that the headquarters for IBM is really in North Korea.
ROFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I have enough trouble with RW providing the right choice for Adderwood (the forest) and Adderwood (the town). Automation sounds good but it needs to be be able to be tuned (at which point is it worth the trouble?).
Spot on in multiple counts... while automation is good for repetitive functions that produce repetitive results, it can quickly become an irritant if it starts making assumptions for you.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:06 PM
Took me a minute to re-find it - auto-filling is supposed to be a toggleable option. When you're doing bulk importing of existing data the vast majority of what you're entering will fall into predictable, and repetitive collections. Once that portion of the project is out of the way you would likely turn off the option, and manually assign containers as appropriate.

New thought: Once the game is live the ability to reconnect Topics based on the Masks would be very handy for territory changes. If a war results in border changes, adjust the Masks as appropriate, and all of the Communities would be auto-corrected to reflect their new allegiance.

Last edited by pyremius; December 2nd, 2014 at 01:09 PM.
pyremius is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:13 PM
While I'm not totally in favor of this particular implementation, I do find the idea to be very intriguing. It would be hugely helpful to be able to change multiple entries quickly and easily (and, if it makes sense, automatically too I guess ).
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 3rd, 2014, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyremius View Post
New thought: Once the game is live the ability to reconnect Topics based on the Masks would be very handy for territory changes. If a war results in border changes, adjust the Masks as appropriate, and all of the Communities would be auto-corrected to reflect their new allegiance.
Intriguing idea... but for sake of debate, would say "IF the game becomes live" LWD hasn't managed to do that with all the renditions of herolab (imagine if the tactical console or INPlay, Conditions, or Spells tabs did that). So I wouldn't make plans around that thought in the foreseeable future.

However, "mask adjustments" for the changes you describe could be possible even without live. Just haven't wrapped my mind around how this would be done from a programing perspective..
But do like the idea
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old December 3rd, 2014, 10:32 AM
Sorry - bad terminology on my part. I was differentiation two periods in the Realm's lifecycle - setup before the campaign starts, and while the game is running ("live"). During the setup phase there is the greatest potential for the quantities of data that would make automation useful, and the value will taper off as more data is entered (eventually all that will be left is one-offs or edge cases that need special attention). Once the game begins (presumably, after most of the data has been entered) there would be less use for such a feature - except in special circumstances such as territory acquisition.
pyremius is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old December 11th, 2014, 05:05 PM
I was about to make a very similar feature request when I found this post.

In my current case, I've just started a hex crawl exploration campaign. I have a large overland map that I'm revealing to the characters as they push through the wilderness. Each Hex has a unique number assigned, and I've started creating topics for each hex to keep track of things like how thoroughly explored it is, etc. I would love to have a tool that would create a Mask as described above to allow an area of the map to act like a pin (a box drawn around the ID number, for instance). It would make my life a lot easier, and I think would be helpful for my players.

Admittedly, the concept outlined above with automated containers and the like is way more than I was thinking, but I could see some value in it.
JustinThomason is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old December 11th, 2014, 05:37 PM
One further refinement of the idea (and a vastly increased workload, I'm sure) would be "reveal pin" so that we don't have to use the brush as often during the game - especially for hex-based maps.

Pretty sure this belongs in the "dream" category, but it's a good dream
pyremius is offline   #10 Reply With Quote