Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

dungeonguru

Old April 23rd, 2018, 12:56 PM
Going fully online even with distributed DNS or multi-site hosting can't prevent the occasional outage, it just limits the number of people that might get affected with an outage, especially malicious hacks and denial of service attacks that might only deny a particular ISP or region. It's good to see that offline viewing is "in the plan" though.

I'm just hoping that if I do decide to pay a sub for HLO, that I don't get hit with a throttle or paywall down the road due to the slow death of net neutrality. My current ISP throttles netflix and sling already when they can get away with it. I would hate to pay a sub for software and an additional sub for tolerable access to the same software.
dungeonguru is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Hockyman68

Old May 16th, 2018, 12:19 AM
So I get there is a business to be ran but at the same time, these costs are down right outrageous. First of all I have to pay $34 to upgrade my account. Then I have to pay $24.99 a year. AND THAT IS JUST FOR THE CORE PACKAGE. Then I have to pay or each subsequent package. That is outrageous.

I was pissed when you all decided to raise the prices on HeroLab classic. $4.99 for 3 packages, then its 4.99 for 2 packages. Now $5.99 per 3 packages. While it wasn’t a huge deal it was still annoying. Then with as many errors and inconsistencies and not up to date with current rule set.

I feel so cheated right now and I will not support this anymore.
Hockyman68 is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 17th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Let's say it's five nines, 99.999% up-time. There's still a 0.001% chance of things going down.
Down for less than 1 hour per year requires a reliability of 0.0114155%

It would be down for longer due to periodic program updates.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is online now   #33 Reply With Quote
jlong05
Volunteer Data File Author

Send a message via MSN to jlong05

Old May 17th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Down for less than 1 hour per year requires a reliability of 0.0114155%

It would be down for longer due to periodic program updates.
Planned, scheduled maintenance isn't considered downtime when tracking a KPI though. So program updates done during that maintenance is ok.

Lets be honest here guys. Every online company does maintenance and far more business that Wolflair ever will be. I don't see people screaming when MS, Apple, Amazon, etc are running their planned maintenance, so why would anyone EVER expect Wolflair to maintain a five-9 stability rating.

If your gaming group can't accommodate planned maintenance, I think you all need to get out more.

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05 is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 17th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong05 View Post
If your gaming group can't accommodate planned maintenance, I think you all need to get out more.
When the planned maintenance coincides with your regular weekly gaming session (which you might have been doing for the past 30 years) then you have no character sheets for that game session.

(Just check out the RW mandatory updates which are published just prior to a gaming session as reported in other forums to see what a hassle it causes.)

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is online now   #35 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 17th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Well, yes, sure. But this is all a bit of a tangent from the far more common issue of poor or no connections at game stores, conventions, and homes.

I love "cloud"-based tools and don't mind paying subscriptions for services and software. But anything important needs to have offline.

I run my business on G Suite. I have offline access to critical documents.

Other services I use include:

Evernote - I can use on or offline and on multiple platforms.

DnD Beyond - On iOS devices, all my rules, and adventure content is available offline. The character sheet will be after they've revamped the online version.

Apple Music

Podcasts (I just use the default one on the iPhone but afaik all the major podcast applications support downloading for offline consumption)

My task-management service

Actually, the more that I think about it, the harder it is to think of online services I use that DON'T have offline capabilities.

About the only thing that comes readily to mind for fully online is streaming video services like Amazon TV, HBO Now, Netflix, and Hulu.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old May 17th, 2018, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockyman68 View Post
So I get there is a business to be ran but at the same time, these costs are down right outrageous. First of all I have to pay $34 to upgrade my account. Then I have to pay $24.99 a year. AND THAT IS JUST FOR THE CORE PACKAGE. Then I have to pay or each subsequent package. That is outrageous.

I was pissed when you all decided to raise the prices on HeroLab classic. $4.99 for 3 packages, then its 4.99 for 2 packages. Now $5.99 per 3 packages. While it wasn’t a huge deal it was still annoying. Then with as many errors and inconsistencies and not up to date with current rule set.

I feel so cheated right now and I will not support this anymore.
Gaming isn't a cheap hobby, if you can't afford it you probably should find a different hobby (or a second job).
Toblakai is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old May 17th, 2018, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Gaming isn't a cheap hobby, if you can't afford it you probably should find a different hobby (or a second job).
It can be. All depends. There are free offerings, not the least of which are GURPS Lite and the D&D 5E equivalent (whatever it's called). There are freely available SRDs for various systems, and there are pay-what-you-want systems.

There are quite a few choices and resources for someone who wants to engage in gaming as a low-cost hobby.
EightBitz is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
jlong05
Volunteer Data File Author

Send a message via MSN to jlong05

Old May 18th, 2018, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
It can be. All depends. There are free offerings, not the least of which are GURPS Lite and the D&D 5E equivalent (whatever it's called). There are freely available SRDs for various systems, and there are pay-what-you-want systems.

There are quite a few choices and resources for someone who wants to engage in gaming as a low-cost hobby.
I agree. However HeroLab Online isn't one of those free options. As for low-cost, that is in the eye of the consumer. Some have already said that the cost they are charging for their online functionality is minor(less than a cup of joe a month), while others are outraged by that cost. As such, I would add that HeroLab Online isn't a tool for those looking for the free/low-cost path either.

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05 is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old May 18th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Quote:
As such, I would add that HeroLab Online isn't a tool for those looking for the free/low-cost path either.
And this is the point that Hockyman68 was trying to make. So we've kind of gone in a circle now. His point was criticized with an argument that gaming, in general, is a necessarily expensive hobby, so if you can afford the hobby, you can afford Hero Lab Online.

My point was that this is demonstrably untrue.

Then your point is again that Hero Lab Online is not cheap. And that closes the circle.
EightBitz is offline   #40 Reply With Quote