Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

SWChance

Old January 7th, 2007, 08:09 PM
What is the best way to save the work I am doing in the program? Is there a way to keep it seperate from the SRD material? I tried using a usr_feats.dat file name in the same folder but it only works when I splice in each thing.

Chris Bradshaw
SWChance is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
subfunk

Old January 7th, 2007, 09:09 PM
The feats you've added aren't persistent? After I've spliced them in, if I quit Hero Lab and re-open it, all my splices are still there. They must be stored in the run-time compiled code because I don't see them in the source "feats.dat" file.

Are you adding all your feats individually or putting them all in your usr_feats.dat file?

I have no idea how to revert back to listing stock SRD feats :shock:

Subfunk
subfunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SWChance

Old January 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I can splice in the feat but after I reset HL then the feats are no longer there. I have been saving the feats under usr_bookname_feats.dat I wanted to be able to share the work I put in with others in my group. This way they can work on one book and I work on another and we get everything done sooner.

Chris Bradshaw
SWChance is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
subfunk

Old January 8th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Try leaving the .dat file in the ../d20 folder.

I did a little experimentation and found that if I move my custom .dat file from the ../d20 folder to some other location, my custom feats have to be spliced back in. If I leave the file in the folder, they show up without having to re-splice them in.

Subfunk
subfunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
SWChance

Old January 8th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Rock on that was the answer I was looking for. Thanks

Chris Bradshaw
SWChance is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM
All user-created material, by definition, lives within data files. All of the core material for each game system lives within package files. Consequently, all of your custom material will ALWAYS be separate from the SRD material.

You *MUST* create your data files within the game system directory. That way, they will be automatically integrated into the complete set of compiled files whenever you load the game system. If you put your data files elsewhere, you'll be able to splice your material in, but it won't be automatically integrated when you next load the game system.

All of the SRD material in the "source" directory is there for reference only. If you delete the "source" directory, Hero Lab will work perfectly, because that material is never used by HL. That directory is below the actual game system directory where you need to place your files. If you put the file "usr_feats.dat" in the game system folder instead, it should be automatically integrated exactly as you intend.

Hope this helps,
Rob

At 09:09 PM 1/7/2007, you wrote:

Quote:
What is the best way to save the work I am doing in the program? Is there a way to keep it seperate from the SRD material? I tried using a usr_feats.dat file name in the same folder but it only works when I splice in each thing.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM
If you ever want to strip things down to just the stock SRD material, there are two methods you can use....

1. If you delete all of your user-created data files from the game system directory, then HL will no longer integrate that material into the compiled data files and it will effectively disappear.

2. You can create a separate game system folder that contains just the core SRD material if you want. Or you can create a separate folder with your user-added material. For details, see the last two bullets in the Miscellaneous Topics section of the Creating Custom Material chapter in the docs.

-Rob

At 10:09 PM 1/7/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I have no idea how to revert back to listing stock SRD feats [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM
The compiler only processes files in the game system folder. If the file lives elsewhere, HL doesn't know about it unless you explicitly splice something in from the file.

-Rob

At 11:49 AM 1/8/2007, you wrote:

Quote:
Try leaving the .dat file in the .../d20 folder.

I did a little experimentation and found that if I move my custom .dat file from the ../d20 folder to some other location, my custom feats have to be spliced back in. If I leave the file in the folder, they show up without having to re-splice them in.

Subfunk
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Your concept is sound, with the one tweak being that the file has to live in the game system folder. You can then give your user-created data files to others in your gaming group and all they need to do is drop the file into the game system folder on their computer. HL will then compile the new material in when the files are next loaded and they are good to go.

We're going to be making this process even simpler in an upcoming release. That way, non-technical users don't even have to worry about manually putting the files you created into the correct directory.

-Rob

At 10:55 AM 1/8/2007, you wrote:

Quote:
I can splice in the feat but after I reset HL then the feats are no longer there. I have been saving the feats under usr_bookname_feats.dat I wanted to be able to share the work I put in with others in my group. This way they can work on one book and I work on another and we get everything done sooner.
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote