Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

sveden

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:50 AM
While reading about Hero Lab I read that each copy of Hero Lab includes a royalty payment to the company that owns the game.

In regards to 4e, if we are paying a royalty to WoC why don't we get all the feats, skills and powers included with our 4e license?

Why do I then have to pay to get that content from WoC?
sveden is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old November 11th, 2011, 04:08 AM
It all depends on what agreement the IP company has made with LW. I know that with my dealings with WoTC they have been notoriously difficlut. They license and the content that can be put into HL might be tightly controled by the WoTC folks.

Conversely Piazo wants everything they make to go into HL, but this creates the other side of the problem, too much content not enough time to create it.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
sveden

Old November 11th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I just would like to know what IP or part of WoC's IP we are paying for. Because as far as I can tell the DDI downloader that supplies the placeholders for feats, skills and powers is provding "public" data that anyone could use without any IP agreement with WoC.
sveden is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old November 11th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sveden View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I just would like to know what IP or part of WoC's IP we are paying for. Because as far as I can tell the DDI downloader that supplies the placeholders for feats, skills and powers is provding "public" data that anyone could use without any IP agreement with WoC.
I could be wrong, but in the case of 4E and WotC, I don't think you're paying for ANY of it. I don't think they get one cent from HL for 4E licenses. I think that they just used the bare bones skeleton for the rules to legally put it out, and what you're actually paying for when you get the 4E dataset is the unfettered access to the Authoring Kit and Savage Worlds. I believe I've heard the developers say that they include 4E and Savage Worlds with the Authoring Kit so that you can look at those systems as examples of how you can create your own.

Last edited by ChrisRevocateur; November 11th, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #4 Reply With Quote