Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 10th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I think what you intend is pretty clear BUT I do have one question: why is the Incendiary (yes, with an 'e' not an 'i') Round a 'Targeted' Explosion?

Does it throw out flechettes, ala a cluster bomb, at a high rate of speed or a fireball that detonates so fast no-one could leap out of the way...and let's be honest, if one isn't using the 'Tactical Movement' option from the Mastermind's Manual then it's pretty pathetic if a superpowered foe can't get out of a 50ft explosion in a single Move Action (presuming one is following the convention that if you REF Save then you have to actually move the miniature a number of hexes equal to or less than what he could cover in a single move)...and thus a target wouldn't have a chance to REF Save out of the way/lessen the damage and his Defense is the primary consideration if he gets hurt?

Is it a Targeted AoE just to avoid the possibility that a good REF Save and/or use of Evasion would protect the target from harm? If so, that's a little cheesy and I think, just my two cents worth, that you should make it a General AoE.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; September 10th, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Send a message via MSN to atlarman Send a message via Yahoo to atlarman

Old September 10th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks Nigel...

I'll consider changing the AoE as you suggest....no i wasnt thinking of any tactical movement rules when i made it the way i did .I was going under the impression that a successful reflex save would mean either no damage or simply a bruised condition (depending on how lethal th GM WANTS the game.)regaurdless of the distance one would have to cover and besides who says avoided damage has to mean the target cleared the entire blast area?? perharps he was able too tuck and roll enough to avoid serious harm lol

My thought behind targeted AoE was simply aim at a point on the map and fire as per the description in the book.....i thought this would best fit an Incendiary round- exspecially one w/high explosives. I apologize If im missing something rules wise. thats why im seeking help and imput.

also thanks for pointing out the very embarrassing spelling error I shall fix it as soon as I finish here.

Last edited by atlarman; September 11th, 2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typos
atlarman is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old September 11th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlarman View Post
Thanks Nigel...

... and besides who says avoided damage has to mean the target cleared the entire blast area?? perharps he was able too tuck and roll enough to avoid serious harm lol

No need to apologize, you aren't doing anything outside what the rules allow. I was just curious about why 'Targeted' and not 'General'.

Speaking of General-Type AoE, what you describe above about doing the old 'tuck & roll' or when someone dives under a table/behind the sofa to avoid the blast.....that sure sounds like a REF Save to me.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Old September 11th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Yeah the tuck and roll thing was meant to describe a ref save.... so i gather that youre saying then that a tageted AoE DOESNT allow foir a save for characters caught in the area?? ok clearly i need to re read targeted AoE again. the explosive round IS intended to be fast but not SO fast that no save is allowed....hmm i need to think about this more... cause i do need to consider realistic explosive effects vs cinematic. the jury is out- i'll let you know lol

As for "super powered "foes....if i DO decide targeted AOE is the way to go, hopefully their defense will be enough to help them, if not perhaps the villan isnt so "supe"r after all (only joking...as a hero im thinking DM wouldnt use such a powerful attack against a foe if they couldnt survive it or the danger of the situation didnt warrant it.....one would HOPE- then again heroes are human too thus subject to fits of anger and poor judgement - God Help the street slime of freedom city!!! (haha)

Last edited by atlarman; September 11th, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
atlarman is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
JDRook

Send a message via AIM to JDRook Send a message via Yahoo to JDRook Send a message via Skype™ to JDRook

Old September 11th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlarman View Post
also @ nigel:

btw for the record it was my GMs desire to kill the pp limit- when he simply could not seem to build his martial artist to his liking with 150 pp so we decided to ignore point total while upholding pl limits...
There's nothing wrong with that in my book. I usually create characters in HL using the NPC setting (Character > Configure Hero > Create NPC). That way I can play around with unlimited points and HL tells me the power level as I fiddle around. Of course, normally I just play around with character concepts and try to find the PL I think works best for them, so this system works well for me.

You may want to consider building Dragon Master in Hero Lab with the NPC setting on, atlarman.
JDRook is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Old September 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I would JD but my GM while not caring about the pp total, for some reason known only to him at this time seems MARRIED to campaign level 10 haha

I agree that theres nothing wrong w/ fudging pp totals in favor of concepts....among willing gms and experoenced players.... I only mentioned it because ive taken alot of (mostly good natured) "crap" ov laterit was only er D master's pp total haha

** oops I actually forgot this but at the time i created him i was trying to stick to the 150 pp total- thus the reason 4 the GM APROVED freebies lol...as i recall it was shortly after I had proudly completed my 150 point build that my wise and benevalent GM decided he'd rather ignore pp total outright....god love him. If its not for the fact that i managed to hit the 150 sweet spot, id be tempted to go back and tweak the areas where i intentionally left him a tad under powered but then again....character advancement has to count for something...right??
*** btw to anyone whos interested - on my 1st pass at this character his equipment wasnt 'free"- it was only later after i realized that an HQ was more important that i made his mundane gear free in favor of buying his HQ.

Last edited by atlarman; September 12th, 2010 at 03:25 AM. Reason: added a point correction
atlarman is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Old September 11th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Nigel -

I went back last night and reviewed the differences between GENERAL AoE and Targeted AoE and after our posts the other day, I FULLY expected to come across something of an 'A HA' moment that would completely show me that your' suggestion of general AoE was a better way to go for the Incendiary Round. The truth is I see a legit case can be made for both types...what it comes down to is as i read it do you see the reflex save as a resonable or plausable measure in this case. the answer there is yes to both .HOWEVER as i read further i see that the normal TOUGHNESS SAVE STILL APPLIES IN both types so ref save is just an additional safegaurd from damage not the only one given this fact and the need to overcome a target defense as well i have to say that at this time given the size and speed of the attack that i do not see Enough to make the change to general AoE needed beyond all doubt. so much like the NFL referee's favorite justification due to lack of conclusive or definative info....rhe original ruling on the feild -or in this case, the build on the sheet stands. (wink)

Last edited by atlarman; September 11th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.
atlarman is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old September 11th, 2010, 10:11 PM
One thing we learned in our post-UP games was that in terms of effectiveness Targeted Areas are almost always better than General Areas; not only do you get to use your Attack/Damage trade-off (great for the minion-sweeping that Area is often used for), but you get to avoid those near-impossible to reduce Reflex saves and the nigh-partial-immunity of Evasion in favor of the much easier to mess with Defense score. We ruled that Target Areas couldn't Critical Hit, but I don't think that's actually in the rules, so if your GM allows that it's even better.

You do have the disadvantage that you'll likely miss the potential targets that are Concealed, though.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Old September 12th, 2010, 03:07 AM
actually I do believe the "no crit" rule IS mentioned in targeted area UP Page 110
(I think) For all those interested.... I did pose the situation of targeted vs. general AoE to my GM . Im currently awaiting his take on it and Im perfectly willing to go w/ general AoE if in his judgement its better for the game. I am however, in the absense of any clear rules violation,expecting his usual NON DECISION lol (sigh)

Last edited by atlarman; September 12th, 2010 at 03:43 AM.
atlarman is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Old September 12th, 2010, 03:35 AM
TO Nigel-

I meant to ask this earlier on ....Am I correct in assuming the reasons your GM wouldnt allow DM in either of his games is all the "freebies"?

I guess I can understand how some could find that upsetting in a group situation.

I'm just curious as to his reasoning for dis allowing the character out of hand.:

Last edited by atlarman; September 12th, 2010 at 03:44 AM.
atlarman is offline   #30 Reply With Quote