Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old February 8th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
Did I miss a post or update somewhere that said there wouldn't be custom calendars? Or were you talking about RW in it's current state?
I overstated the case and was called out on it in another thread. It looks like calendars may be 6-9 months out, but that is, I'm sure, a rough estimate. So, saying that is is "off the table" is hyperbole and unfair to the developers. It is still on the table, but LWD determined—from the survey results—that it should not be a top-three priority.

That said, as has also been discussed in other posts, the developers are not going to commit to a specific deadline for calendars—there are too many variables. So, while it was an unfair exaggeration for me to say it was "off the table," at the same time there is no guarantee of when custom-calendar support will be available and you should not base purchase and use decisions on that feature being available at a specific time.

And THAT said, I'll also reiterate that RW is still the best product out there for building and managing your role-play worlds. As much as I want custom-calendar support, given all the other functionality it provides, I can't see why one would decide NOT to use RW just because it doesn't support them.
MNBlockHead is offline   #131 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 8th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
Is it dead, MNBlockHead? Let's look at the discussion and the arguments:

<SNIP>

I would be willing to bet that players were the ones who wanted a journal while GMs wanted the calendar. If no weight is given to the type of user then the players' wish would be number one. If that is what happened then at the very least I would make the journal and calendar the first priority; something for the players (who pay a one time smaller fee) and something for the GMs (who paid a one time larger fee PLUS a continuous cloud service fee).
It is dead in that the decision has been made. We are not going to get them to change course now. I would rather LWD successfully execute on their development plan. For future surveys, they may want to consider weighting things differently, but that will depend upon the reception of newly released features.

As for weighting strategies, I would think that many GMs would care a great deal that the product incorporate features their players want. If you are a GM who bought RW for its collaboration capabilities, journals may be much more important than calendars. Also, it appears that many GMs feel that custom calendars are time sink that add little to the player experience (I disagree, but many have expressed that). So I would not be *that* surprised if there were many GMs who voted for journal over calendars.
MNBlockHead is offline   #132 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 8th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
The current "calendar" is only a database of what has happened. It's not going to tell me when the first moon is, or what is the next religious holiday, or the season. And that information is typically not going to be in a module unless it's part of the story line.
Agreed. I would *love* to be able to track moon phases, religious festivals, etc. But, for now, we'll need to track that stuff outside of RW. Perhaps by the end of the year or early next year that will change, but we lost this round.
MNBlockHead is offline   #133 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 8th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indus101 View Post
I'm just pointing out that custom world or not, 99% of the content we're putting through it ain't gonna be the Gregorian calendar.

And being pre-created doesn't change that.
True, but what are GMs using now? I mean I would MUCH prefer this functionality to be built into RW, but since it isn't, how are you managing this? My issue isn't creating and using a custom calendar, there are various software applications, or I just use spreadsheets, etc.

My issue is converting among multiple custom calendars. I've started a thread to discuss various calendar stop-gap options until RW eventually has this functionality.

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?p=203324
MNBlockHead is offline   #134 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old February 8th, 2015, 02:10 PM
The next survey I'll take here I will just place all points on my top #1 feature and rate the rest with "zero points" ... This would have helped "my favourite" feature, much more than with my "honest" response...

That said, Iam excited how RW will develop this year and I hope the next release comes soon.

Cheers!
Acenoid is offline   #135 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old February 12th, 2015, 09:31 PM
I am in the group of disgruntled users who really, REALLY want calendars. With that said, despite not having a calendar system the program is a dream. Before I found out and contributed to the Kickstarter I was using Obsidian Portal. I used it mostly for the Adventure Log to help my player refresh their foggy brains on what transpired last time, which can be anywhere from two weeks ago to a couple of months.

I have not been happy with the site since their Kickstarter supported reforge over two years ago (which I am thankful I didn't support) and their lack of support. At the end of last year I decided not to continue paying for their lack of service and just use their free service.

As I said at the beginning, I am disappointed about calendars, but I do like the idea of a journal and look forward to the time I won't have to use two different tools for my campaign. Thanks Rob and crew. :-)
ruhar is offline   #136 Reply With Quote