Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hi everyone,

As you may have seen from the M&M3 design journals, characters in M&M3 have changed a lot from in second edition. There are new ability scores, skills, and defenses; some things, like Drawbacks, have changed and become Complications.

So, I've been thinking about what we can do to let you import MM2 characters into the MM3 data files. Because of the 3rd edition changes, there's no way to do a 1:1 mapping of a character. Any import of a 2nd edition character into the 3rd edition game system will have some limitations.

Basically, if we let you you import a 2nd edition character, maybe 50% of the character will import successfully. For example, you might lose a couple of ability scores, some skills, maybe your defense bonus, and a few powers, power feats and power extras.

Would a limited import mechanism like this be useful? Effectively we'd be letting you use a 2nd edition character as the basis of a 3rd edition character. It'd probably be easier than starting from scratch, but you'd still need to do some work on the character before it was ready to play.

What do you guys think? If you think this will be useful, I'm happy to spend some time on it. Given the above, let me know if you would use an importer like this, or whether you'd prefer to just start from scratch.
Colen is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:34 PM
If the parts that you can convert do so pretty much on a one-to-one basis, I personally think it would be wicked useful. I know that I have some 30-odd characters saved and being able to click a button to get them at least halfway would be very useful.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
roguescribner

Old July 4th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Eh, I'd be worried about what fell through the cracks and what 3E trait would work better than a similar 2E trait. Personally, if it can't do the whole job, then I'd rather just build it up myself from scratch.
roguescribner is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old July 4th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Hmm, I have to echo some of the comments of Duggan and Rogueschribner.

I would like those things that could directly port over to do so. However, I don't see any value is retaining something from 2E that might be one of imbalances that 3E (I'm hoping) seeks to correct or could be done in a better combination of traits that becomes available with 3E.

So, in the absence of a 3E book that I can compare to the 2E books, I'd have to err on the side of "input from scratch." Yes, I know that's going to be a lot of retyping for some, if not most, of us but let's be honest about this; it's far less time-consuming using the software than the old method of pen, paper & calculator.

Okay, getting off my soapbox now,
Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old July 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I'd much rather tweak a conversion than have to re-input all my villains from scratch, especially if the conversion is smart about "these two or three 2e skills were folded into one 3e skill so take the highest bonus".

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old July 6th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I'll say two things on this subject.

1) I think that a conversion approach would be very useful, and welcome, even if it only got you 'halfway there' as it were... however.

2) I would MUCH rather have the 3E ruleset at my fingertips sooner, with more effort put towards crushing bugs, than driving you guys to distraction trying to pull both feats off at once. It's a great idea for a later project, perhaps? I'm much more concerned about getting the 3E rules into Hero Lab as quickly and accurately as possible.

Over to you, Sirs.
Shadowchaser is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old July 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
I'd much rather tweak a conversion than have to re-input all my villains from scratch, especially if the conversion is smart about "these two or three 2e skills were folded into one 3e skill so take the highest bonus".
I'm with Charlie on this one. The only problem would be if the conversion tends to be heavily mangled in some way.
Paragon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Gothenem

Old July 17th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I will go in support of the conversion. Even if its only halfway, that's still alot of information I won't have to re-input.
Gothenem is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
JDRook

Send a message via AIM to JDRook Send a message via Yahoo to JDRook Send a message via Skype™ to JDRook

Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:03 AM
I actually put in my DCA pre-order yesterday and paid the extra $5 for the pdf, so I've been poring over it when I have time, and have even tried converting over the official 3e Aquaman to 2e in HeroLab manually just to try it out, so here's my two cents:

Colen's estimate of about 50% successful import certainly looks about right. About half of the rules are still pretty similar, while a good chunk of them (Dex/Agi split, new composite skills, Affliction[!], etc) are probably going to get weird, and will definitely take some tweaking. On the other hand, my test with Aquaman took maybe ten minutes, which doesn't seem so bad.

I'd have to agree with Shadowchaser's call. Unless the conversion algorithm or whatever is something Colen can whip off in one day, I'd rather the focus be put into making the 3E module solid as a rock.
JDRook is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Aaron C

Old July 28th, 2010, 05:18 PM
What I would like when talking "conversion" is not only jump from 2nd to 3rd edition, but also be backwards compatible from 3rd back to 2nd edition, it would be nice to input some of the DC characters and then convert them down to 2nd edition to be used in campaigns.

Yes, yes. I know what THAC0 means, and remember when the lower the AC the harder it was to hit. I remember the most fearsome monster ever was the tarrasque! I am a veteran of the Old Guard of Grognards!
Aaron C is offline   #10 Reply With Quote