Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

Frodie

Old July 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I am thinking of buy this dataset to do some work on the D20 Modern project. I made a copy of the d20 dataset and the work already done, but the editing tools seem the same. Can you edit a dataset, and if so, how?
Frodie is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Each game system can define its own editor properties. When you copied the d20 files, you copied the editor definitions as part of that.

Most of the work with the Authoring Kit is handled by editing the files in a text editor, but for a packaged game system like d20, the structural files that define how categories of things behave are not accessible to users. So, adding the Authoring Kit will not add any capabilities to the d20 files that you don't already have.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old July 13th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Is there any way of editing a dataset other than the editor?
Frodie is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 13th, 2010, 06:54 PM
The are two types of data sets. The first is locked such that all the basic mechanics cannot be modified, but the user can freely add and replace built-in content. The Editor is the easiest way to add/edit this content, but ".user" files can also be fully edited as raw XML files if you prefer - the Editor simply makes the process easier for more users. Most of the game systems we release fall into this category, including the d20 System.

The other type is completely open, wherein we provide the complete set of data files in source form. This makes it possible to completely revise the core mechanics. The code for every aspect of the data files is available for these games. The two game systems that fit this category are the Savage Worlds and D&D 4E systems, which are included with the Authoring Kit.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old July 14th, 2010, 08:01 AM
So, if I got the Authoring Kit I could export material from Savage Worlds and D&D 4E systems to another dataset, (as long as the mechanic are the the same).?
Frodie is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 14th, 2010, 12:00 PM
With the Authoring Kit, you can create data files for *any* game system you want. You would start with the provided "skeleton" files and build from them. The "skeleton" files are a fully functioning framework that we use in-house for building all of our new game systems.

Included with the Authoring Kit are the complete data files for two game systems: Savage Worlds and D&D 4E. You can use these files as examples for creating your own, OR you can fully customize these data files however you desire. Since you have the complete data files, all the mechanics can be changed for these games, unlike the other game systems for which the internal mechanics are locked.

The Authoring Kit wiki provides a walk-through of how the Savage Worlds data files were developed, starting from the skeleton files.

Hope this helps....
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old July 14th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Yea thanks, I got it, looks like it's going to take some time. Have no idea where to start, lol. Sorry, I'll muggle through it some how. (BTW - NOT a programer, retired fireman, so thanks for being patient with me).
Frodie is offline   #7 Reply With Quote