Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

wheelercub

Old June 9th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Is there an official way to sync all your profiles, data files, and created magic items between 2+ computers automatically? Or does anyone have a way they do it? Maybe saving certain files to Dropbox?

Currently I can only save character profiles to Dropbox and then upload them to my 2nd computer at work. But where I run into trouble is when I create special feats and magic items that do not appear on the second device.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm all ears.
wheelercub is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old June 9th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Sure is.

Realm Works.

All of my Hero Labs portfolio's are stored within Realm Works. Realm Works handles the cloud syncing.

I'm slowly but surely adding all the monsters to Realm Works too. As I do that I add pictures of the monsters. This just makes me happy as we could not add pictures to the actual HL files due to the licensing issues associated with pictures.

As you can see below. I can also make many varieties of monsters and save them for future use.

Obviously I'm the DM, so my need to manage this is greater than a player.

Note: The highlighted button opens it in HL.

Last edited by daplunk; June 9th, 2016 at 02:22 PM.
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 9th, 2016, 02:41 PM
@daplunk he is asking about .user files the he has custom created not .por file.

@wheelercub I do think there was some old posts where some used a type of special windows short cuts to sync the data folder. Otherwise you need to simply copy the .user files from one computer to another.

If both PCs are on the same network you could use a folder cloning software to sync the folders. Then always make changes on your desktop and sync to the laptop.

Maybe some else has a way but I have a whole custom data set my group/players use. And I have that supported and released the same way the 5e Pack is. That maybe allot of work if you are the only one needing the .user files.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old June 9th, 2016, 05:28 PM
if you have a Notebook++ you can make two batch files on each machine works particularly well if you have dropbox or any other cloud based solution

transmit batch file

@echo off
cd "c:\ProgramData\Herolab\data\5e"
copy filename.user c:\dropbox

retrieval batch file
@echo off
cd "c:\dropbox"
copy Filename.user "c:\Program Data\Herolab\data\5e"

cd "C:\Program Files (X86)\Hero Lab"
start HeroLab.exe

note this is only useful for the windows environment and is useless for the ipad
Dervish is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Irondrake

Old June 9th, 2016, 08:29 PM
How do we get .user files to the ipad? I'm just wondering because my players are all starting to "buy-in" to Hero Lab's benefits but if I custom create a magic item or racial ability, I'd like them to be able to use that as well.
Irondrake is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 9th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irondrake View Post
How do we get .user files to the ipad? I'm just wondering because my players are all starting to "buy-in" to Hero Lab's benefits but if I custom create a magic item or racial ability, I'd like them to be able to use that as well.
Read the HL info HERE.

If interested I wrote up a way of using Dropbox to do a Auto Update like the community does for the Pack. Read that HERE.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old June 9th, 2016, 11:07 PM
I use an inhouse cloud device to sync. All is stored there and can be accessed from every computer running HL in the house. If you also put your .user files there these too will be available everywhere.
iPad is another topic, but that is not a computer at all. So far I think there is just a dropbox functionality within iPad-HL and no chance to configure anything else (if I remember correctly).

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
wheelercub

Old June 10th, 2016, 05:18 PM
Currently I am emailing my from work to home. It's a little annoying, but doable. If Realm Works is able to sync everything else, like all my magic items, created classes, feats, and monsters. That might be good too. Where can I find the Realm Works syncing options in Hero Lab? Or is it a separate program?
wheelercub is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
wheelercub

Old July 14th, 2016, 07:39 AM
So emailing the portfolio files has worked to a certain point. That problem I'm seeing is with custom magic items, feats, class features, etc. What happens is that they all become disassociated with my portfolios because I think Hero Lab is pulling the .user data file from a separate location. Does anyone have any solutions or work arounds?
wheelercub is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 14th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Details are three posts above (post 6) you on how to get custom user files.to.the.ipad. Unless you mean items from the community Pack. In which case setup and load the pack to the iPad.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote