Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Bekhesh

Old November 18th, 2018, 05:53 PM
I am trying to create a race that will have a breath weapon similar to dragon's breath (with the same damage as per ancestry as the regular ability) but I want the breath weapon to have slightly reduced specifications. I have the basic race created, just don't know how to reduce the distance and damage.
Bekhesh is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old November 19th, 2018, 07:45 AM
I'm not sure how you defined your race or if you're copying the Dragonborn so the question is a bit vague.

For the dragonborn, on the Racial Custom Ability tab they define the subrace. That Racial Custom Ability (i.e. Black) bootstraps the breath weapon.

So if you have a copy of the Black Racial Custom Ability (rcDrbnBlac) you can click on the Bootstrap button. You'll see that it bootstraps raDraBrWea and that it's got a field defined (the button for Fields... will be yellow). If you click on that Fields... button you can see that it is passing the field abText with the value "5 by 30 ft. line, Dex save".

This is the value you would have to change if you indeed copied the Dragonborn.

If you didn't do that, I would have to see your .user file.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Bekhesh

Old November 19th, 2018, 08:01 AM
Thanks for your quick response. I am basically trying to make a subrace of the dragonborn. I used the dragonborn as the template but I didn't see the tab for Racial Custom Ability. I will have to look again when I get off work. If I still have a problem, I will post the .user file.
Bekhesh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Bekhesh

Old November 19th, 2018, 02:14 PM
OK, I see how to amend part of the racial abilities. I can change the range on the breath weapons, but I can't see where the damage is listed. Also, I can't see how to link those changed abilities to my subrace. Here is my .user file.
Attached Files
File Type: email DrgnBrnGnm.user (2.9 KB, 3 views)
Bekhesh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old November 20th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Hm...

I can see what you're trying to do, but not sure how best to go about helping get you to the end.

The way dragonborn are set up don't make it easy to add a subrace that would affect the draconic lineage choices without a lot of scripting.

There are two scripts on raDraBrWea that calculate the damage. You can make of copy of that ability and see about changing the scripting - go to the Racial Special tab and make a copy of the Dragon Breath.

What I might try to accomplish what you want is to:

1. New (Copy) the raDraBrWea ability in Racial Special and change the damage to what you want.
2. New (Copy) the rDragonbor race in Race and change the name to be like Gnomish Dragonborn.
3. New (Copy) the draconic lineages on the Racial Custom Ability tab - make sure you change the Available to Race to the race you created in step 2, and swap out the Breath Weapon bootstrap with the one you created in step 1.
dungeonguru is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Bekhesh

Old November 20th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Thank you, I will try that out as soon as I can. I will let you know how it turns out.
Bekhesh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Bekhesh

Old November 20th, 2018, 05:32 PM
I got it. I had to go through and adjust all the types of breath weapons and bootstrap them just like you said. It works! Thank you for your help.
Bekhesh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote