Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Chemlak

Old March 12th, 2016, 09:37 AM
There's no need to be rude, adzling.

Printing is on the radar. It is not, however, simple, because LWD have to factor in copyright restrictions on sold content from the Content Market as well as usability for GMs. Not a trivial thing.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #101 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 12th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
There's no need to be rude, adzling.

Printing is on the radar. It is not, however, simple, because LWD have to factor in copyright restrictions on sold content from the Content Market as well as usability for GMs. Not a trivial thing.
This is why I probably won't be buying anything from the content market ... at least not unless I'm sure I can print it. I don't mean this as a complaint against LWD. I know they're caught in the middle. I mean it as a reprimand against the publishers who want to cripple my ability to use what I purchase.

I'll make it easy for them. They don't have to worry about me using their content at all. If I can't print it, I won't buy it. It's that important to me, and it's that simple for me.

Right now, I'm not even using RW for my own content, because I can't print. My players don't like tech at the table. So it's paper and pencil.

Hero Lab is great. They love Hero Lab. Hero Lab, though, allows me to print. Not only can I print character sheets, but for new players, I can print spell descriptions. That all works wonderfully for my group.

I'm not trying to be rude, just expressing the reality of my situation and the expectations of my group.
EightBitz is offline   #102 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 12th, 2016, 09:59 PM
I'm 100% in agreement, EightBitz. The Market will undoubtedly bring in revenue, but if it's more restrictive than what I can do with a PDF already, I'll likely skip it.
AEIOU is offline   #103 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old March 13th, 2016, 12:28 AM
Just to be clear: I want printing. I love hardcopy. I just don't think that swearing at LWD is a good way to get what I want, and I know that this is a more complex issue than just "print these topics, player view".

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #104 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 13th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
Just to be clear: I want printing. I love hardcopy. I just don't think that swearing at LWD is a good way to get what I want, and I know that this is a more complex issue than just "print these topics, player view".
Sure. I didn't see the offending post, which is why I didn't specifically comment on it. But yeah. No swearing.
EightBitz is offline   #105 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 13th, 2016, 02:49 PM
I would like printing. I understand the need. That said, I'll still buy from the Content Market because if the content is already in RW, and its format optimized for RW, that would be very helpful. I have better things to do than spend hours copy-pasting-reformatting text from PDFs into RW.

Now, I don't ever use paper at the table. I run my game from RW. If I needed to print to be able to run my games, I'm sure I would feel differently. As things stand though, I expect that my credit card will take a bit of hit the first day CM is available for making purchases.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote

Last edited by MNBlockHead; March 13th, 2016 at 08:07 PM. Reason: corrected typos
MNBlockHead is offline   #106 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old March 13th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Deleted

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; March 13th, 2016 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Realised I had already +1'ed this one...
Vargr is offline   #107 Reply With Quote
ArgoForg

Old April 1st, 2016, 04:38 AM
Quote:
This is why I probably won't be buying anything from the content market ... at least not unless I'm sure I can print it. I don't mean this as a complaint against LWD. I know they're caught in the middle. I mean it as a reprimand against the publishers who want to cripple my ability to use what I purchase.

I'll make it easy for them. They don't have to worry about me using their content at all. If I can't print it, I won't buy it. It's that important to me, and it's that simple for me.

Right now, I'm not even using RW for my own content, because I can't print. My players don't like tech at the table. So it's paper and pencil.
Sadly, agreed, although with that last paragraph, I'd switch it to it being an unspoken rule to leave the tech away from the table. In the ADD culture I tend to find myself among, it's a must to keep the phones and tablets at the side, or risk the game stagnating as people check their mail, webpages, facebook, twitter, tumblr, etc. Not that they necessarily mean to drag down game, but it inevitably just happens. It's doubtful that I will ever go the sort of fullbore tech at the table that some will... so printing and export is naturally high on my list of musts.

On top of that, since so much of what I am doing with my world is for eventual (hopefully) PDF production and publishing, I actually find myself using tools like Evernote and Scrivener as much or more than RW recently, because of the option to print, export and mass-dump entire pages of information into other programs and/or other formats. If I use RW, I use it as a backup database for things I've created elsewhere and copied and pasted into snippets there.

Admittedly, neither of those programs are as intrinsically geared toward game as RW is, so there's naturally some give and take involved (I've had to create templates for a lot of my work, for example)... but right now, they have one of the necessities for me that RW doesn't, despite its much better overall campaign usefulness and setup for world creation, so I have just sort of dealt with them until RW (eventually, hopefully,) comes around.

Darker Age Press - Writer and Developer
Realm Works Projects: World of Phantasie (Castles & Crusades)
RPG and Art Software Used: Realm Works, Hero Lab, Campaign Cartographer 3+, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, Evernote, Scrivener, OneNote, Photoshop, Poser Pro, Cinema 4D, Vue 8 Complete.
ArgoForg is offline   #108 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old April 5th, 2016, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoForg View Post
On top of that, since so much of what I am doing with my world is for eventual (hopefully) PDF production and publishing, I actually find myself using tools like Evernote and Scrivener as much or more than RW recently, because of the option to print, export and mass-dump entire pages of information into other programs and/or other formats. If I use RW, I use it as a backup database for things I've created elsewhere and copied and pasted into snippets there.
Having the same idea of publishing my content in the future I can fully understand that approach. I use RW mainly to structure the information (and for running campaigns of course). I even found RW to be helpful to structure ideas for a novel set in the same world that I'm currently writing. For these purposes I really need to either copy parts of the data to other realms or export it so I can use it in other tools, like an authoring tool for novels that I use.

The different campaigns are developed in the same world, and I certainly don't want to put them all together into the same realm. The currently running major campaign is around 1 GB with only small pictures. New campaigns share a lot of general information about the world as such, like maps, pantheons, languages, cities, and political structures. I just want to copy these selected parts to new realms so that I don't have to type them all again.

That leads me to an idea and question: Is it possible to create a new realm and to import the backup of another realm so that I only have to remove the campaign specific parts?

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #109 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old April 5th, 2016, 03:44 AM
As far as I remember, copying realms, merging realms and a host of other stuff along those lines are dependent on the content market. So at this time, your waiting for it just like the rest of us.
Viking2054 is offline   #110 Reply With Quote