Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

lpye

Old October 8th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Is anyone else using HeroLab on a Mac witnessing a weird visual glitch?

Open a new portfolio, close the initial hero dialog, click the "Level Up!" text, choose a class (e.g. Monk) from the dialog, and now look at the "Number to Add" area in the bottom right. Note there are two arrows (one left to decrease, one right to increase) with a number in the middle to indicate the selected number of levels to add.

I'm finding that as I click the arrows, rather than the old number being erased and the new number being drawn in place, instead the new number is simply painted on top, resulting in an unreadable mess after a few clicks.

But after a few clicks, you get:

lpye is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
lpye

Old October 8th, 2012, 12:43 PM
As an addendum, similarly, if you go to add an item, then change the Number to Add, not only does the number to add value get fuzzed, the Cost (Total) value also fuzzes up.

It's as if the event handler for the cycle widget is making use of a custom draw routine that is not properly clearing the draw area.

I've deleted and reinstalled the app from the website. No change.
lpye is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
lpye

Old October 8th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Furthermore, it also happens if I right click the app, choose Get Info and turn on "Open in Low Resolution".
lpye is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Unseelie

Old October 8th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Definitely see this on my MBP as well, and I think it may be a Mountain Lion regression. You can type in that field as well, which is what I have been doing until it gets fixed.
Unseelie is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 8th, 2012, 02:18 PM
You've said this is on a Monk, but is that d20 or Pathfinder? The location (tab or form and approximately where on that tab/form) of the problem may also be relevant - the bug may be something that is specific to that place in that game system.
Mathias is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
lpye

Old October 8th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I am using the Pathfinder ruleset.

Although I used Monk as an example, it occurs with any class I pick on the Level Up dialog.

Also, as I mentioned in the followup post, it also occurs to the "Cost (Total)" label when adding an item and increasing/decreasing the amount of that item to add.

Of note, it does NOT happen on the Ability Scores tab, nor when inc/decrementing skill points on the Skills tab.

It DOES happen when you click to add an Armor item, pick any armor item and again inc/decrement the value. This, similarly affects the "Cost (Total)". Furthermore, I believe it is also affecting the "Cost (Each)" and "Total to Pay" on this and the weapon and gear add screens, because even though the actual text remains the same, it seems to "fuzz up" as if it is being repeatedly painted over.

I have created a full size demo video (134MB) so you can see what it looks like and how I'm reproducing the problem:

http://www.pyehouse.com/hlimg/hlmov1.mov

Here is a smaller version (36MB):

http://www.pyehouse.com/hlimg/hlmov1.m4v

And a tinier version (12MB):

http://www.pyehouse.com/hlimg/hlmov1_2.m4v

Last edited by lpye; October 8th, 2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Fixing video link
lpye is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old October 8th, 2012, 08:50 PM
What's obvious is that it's not clearing the graphics space that was occupied by the previous character. In other words, when you increase from 1 to 2, the one is still there, and the 2 is written over it, instead of clearing the space and then putting the 2.

Yea, not much help, but maybe gives some indication of what's happening.

BoomerET
BoomerET is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 9th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the bug report. I believe this only happens when adding something to your character like a class or an item, correct?

We have a patch for this in the works for Hero Lab - it should be included in the next update, which you can expect sometime around the end of the month. If this is causing problems for you until then, I believe you should be able to "reset" the display by clicking somewhere else. E.g., set the number of items to add, then click back on the list of classes, and the display should clear up.

Hope this helps, and thanks again for the report!
Colen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
lpye

Old October 10th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Thanks. Your analysis seems to be correct. I hope the month end fix works. If you're of a mind to let me, I wouldn't mind testing it before it goes live.
lpye is offline   #9 Reply With Quote