Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects

Notices

MSMurphy

Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:05 PM
I am looking for a programmer who is willing to create a data file for a custom role playing system using the Hero Labs authoring kit. The rules for this system have already been created - the work would be in programming the data file to make a character creator utilizing the established rules (including validation), copy / pasting the relevant information from the establsihed rules to the data file, and including the ability to 'advance' the character similar to the Shadowrun data file. A PDF of the first 19 (removed some pics to reduce file size) pages of the rulebook is attached to give an idea about how the system works and how the rule book is written.

The timeframe for completion would be approximately two to three months from the date of negotiated agreement. The compensation would be $700.00. There are a few conditions for applicants:

1. I will need to talk to you and be able to contact you via phone (voice to voice).
2. The program will need the ability to print the character (either PDF or direct to printer)
3. A down payment of $200 will be made once a functional basic outline or structure is provided.
4. When the project is complete and final payment has been made, the data file and all source code for this data file will be delivered to me, and will be my sole property.

If you are interested, please reply to this thread or send a PM.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf main book sr 3 0 1--for show.pdf (689.9 KB, 29 views)
MSMurphy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old November 24th, 2011, 02:09 PM
For the amount your offering that could buy you an experienced programmer in a western country for about 1-2 days, or about 20 days in India and China.

Good luck with finding someone, and let us know how it turns out
thedarkelf007 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MSMurphy

Old November 25th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I'm sorry, I am not sure I understand your post thedarkelf007. I am looking for someone who most likely will take this as a nighttime/weekend side project. If it is done before Christmas, then they will have a bit of extra money. If it is done after Christmas, they will have a bit of extra money then.
MSMurphy is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old November 27th, 2011, 12:56 PM
That's okay, was tired when I responded... it is actually very generous of you to offer to pay to get something done in the tool.

As someone who runs (project management to development) IT projects as my job, my mind went into business mode without thinking ;-)

Though if you do get someone, I might also look at offering them some work as well.

If I'm not the one willing to get yours done.

I'm just trying to complete Star Wars d6 first.
thedarkelf007 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MSMurphy

Old December 4th, 2011, 07:13 PM
At this time I have gotten no offers to do the program. I am curious if I am not offering enough money (Since this is purly personal, the $700 is coming out of my pocket. I really don't want to spend more than that), is it too much 'work' (I am willing to assist in the copy/pasting and data fill in a bit), Just no interest, or something else?

If you are interested but something is holding you back let me know, we can work together to see what can be done.
MSMurphy is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old December 5th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Hey there MSMurphy. I dont think the money is an issue to be honest. I thinks its more of the amount of work that you are looking to have done. I took a look at the PDF you supplied and it looks interesting. But to create a system from scratch is quite a long process, and to create a system using an existing system is a bit better but still requires a lot of effort.

I just think folks arent looking to put in that much time for what needs to be done.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 5th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefweasel View Post
I just think folks arent looking to put in that much
time for what needs to be done.
Most likely the biggest reason but also a few others as in the requirements you are looking for is going to be pretty rare.

1) Know how to view/write XML.
2) Know how to specifically deal with XML in Hero Lab Authoring Kit.
3) Know how to program in Hero Lab scripting language.
4) Understand RPG's well enough to deal with a totally brand new one and build the Structural Files for such a system almost from scratch.
5) Have some base understanding of building an Architect or underlying system for a new RPG game you have never seen.
6) Have free time to invest in a project that is not the current game/hobby the person is playing in.

I would say 99% of the coders on this board are able to do some of that but only for the specific game system they play in. Building the actual "Structural" files (ie Engine) for a new game system is something else.

Personally I think it sounds really fun but I just don't have any time at all to even try.

Just my thoughts on what could be the issues.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old December 5th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I'll chuck my threpence into the ring!

After coding just the creatures from a number of the PFRpg AP bestiaries, a lot of the text from the D20 Magic Item Compendium tome and other data / scripts it really boils down to lack of time / real life commitments and motivation.

It's a generous offer, IMO, for a hobby coder but I wouldn't be able to devote the necessary time to this project either!
bodrin is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Old December 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM
After new year I might take a look again, but as I am building d6 from scratch it will give me a good understanding of what needs to be done, but if I did work on it, I would be happy to get the core system working, but would need you to enter the details (which I would walk you through how to).

I could not guarantee a timeline until next year though, as things are crazy in December for work with a huge deadline to be completed before end of year (always the way in IT)

If you would like to talk offline with me about this and what I have been doing with my own project just PM with your email address and we can find a way to discuss this.

I have found a couple of workers to help on my own project, but instead of paying for their time they get a copy of the system to work with and influence before its released to the public. The difference is they want to use the system where yours is more homebrew.
thedarkelf007 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
tooley1chris

Old June 19th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I know a little scripting but the amount of knowledge needed to actually make an RPG from scratch using Hero Labs kit is daunting at best. Gave me a head-ache just getting thru some of the tutorial. I purchased it hoping to help bring my own RPG to life.
If no one is willing to be PAID 40X the cost of the original software price to do it then there's something wrong. Yes?
tooley1chris is offline   #10 Reply With Quote