Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old May 24th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Is it possible to rename a category instead of going through and adding a new one and then deleting (if possible) the old one? If so how do I do this. For example, I would like to take the category "Classes" and rename it to "Professions".

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 24th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Click on the category in the Navigation Pane, then edit the Name in the Content Pane. If it's a global category you have to remove protection first.

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 25th, 2014, 01:43 AM
Under "overview" in the "people" section. I would like to change "class" to "profession". I assume it is a global variable, so how do I turn protection off?

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 25th, 2014, 01:56 AM
OK, so Individual is a Category. It is indeed a Global category, one of the ones predefined in every Realm. (Ones you create have a dot instead of a globe icon.) Class (as described) is a Snippet, specifically a Tags snippet.

You can remove protection by clicking the Individual Options button (hammer and wrench icon) next to the name of the Category in the Navigation Pane (on the left) or at the top of the Content Pane (in the middle) or pressing F7 with the category selected. There you'll find an option to Remove Protection. After that you can select the Snippet and edit its properties.

If you haven't already, you might want to read up about why things are protected in the various manuals (Help/Manuals) that come with Realm Works.

Last edited by Parody; May 25th, 2014 at 02:05 AM.
Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old May 25th, 2014, 07:26 AM
I would recommend unprotecting, then ADDING profession, then uncheck the shown box for class to hide it. This preserves the category's original name/intent in case you ever import material from other sources. And it gives you your profession field.

To me, profession and class are totally different things. Professions are cooks, butlers, accountants, sanitary engineers, etc. Classes are clerics, fighters, commoners, etc. Most PCs/NPCs in a fantasy game have both a profession and a clsss even though the focus is almost always on their class. For me, one is for roleplaying, the other is for game mechanics.....
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 25th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Actually in game terms Profession and class are the same thing. In real life I have never heard someone say their class was a soldier or fighter, but I have heard "I'm a professional soldier", or even "I'm a professional thief". For me profession makes more sense. IMHO class seems out of place when describing someones chosen path. Class sounds more like a social thing.

I tried changing the snippet and now I have a section that states "Profession: Class: Researcher". The class label will simply not go away.
Ok, Where in this program do I find the "Protection" options?

Bruce

EDIT: I went through a couple of the game manuals and the one section I was able to find about changing snippets has not been completed yet. It would be a lot easier if you had a searchable index where I could simply type in the word "protection" or "how to turn off protection" and get to where I need to go.

Last edited by Madmaxneo; May 25th, 2014 at 10:51 AM.
Madmaxneo is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 25th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post

You can remove protection by clicking the Individual Options button (hammer and wrench icon) next to the name of the Category in the Navigation Pane (on the left) or at the top of the Content Pane (in the middle) or pressing F7 with the category selected. There you'll find an option to Remove Protection. After that you can select the Snippet and edit its properties.
First off I am in edit mode.
These are the options available when I click on the hammer and wrench icon when I have the Class category selected.:
Snippet options (F9), it is faded out
Reveal Snippet
Add Snippet above
Add Snippet below
Truth Level
Change Snippet type
Text Content
GM Directions
Delete Snippet

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old May 25th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Hrm, maybe you just need to remove the old tags from the topic?

I would just test it by creating a new topic in that catgory and see if you still have the tags twice, if yes, the error must be in the category defintions.

If not, you can probably remove the obsolete tag, you can try to remove the snipped / section and then resynch
and/or (and this I would try first) deleting all relevant tags on the right pane of the topic view by clicking on those hammers "modify tags" it says (or something similar)
Acenoid is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 25th, 2014, 07:12 PM
There's a big difference between the terms Snippet and Category in Realm Works:

A Category is a type of Topic or Article, a template for the Sections and Snippets that will appear in the Topic or Article. Individual is a Category, and it appears that you've created an Individual.

A Snippet is a single line, block of text, or similar item in a Topic or Article. Snippets have a variety of types, like Text and Tags. In your Individual, the Overview Section has Race, Gender, Age, Class, Character Role, Condition, and Portrait Snippets.

The Class Snippet definition for an Individual only allows you to pick from a single Domain (a group of Tags). This Domain is also named Class. It includes a bunch of character classes from Pathfinder.

What you're trying to do is rename the Class Snippet in an Individual. Because it's one of the Snippets from the Category definition, you'd have to go into the Category definition and rename it there. Alternatively, you can hide it and create a new Snippet definition, which is less likely to cause problems later. A third option (if you don't need to do it for every Individual) is to delete the Class Snippet it from this specific Individual and add a new Tags Snippet named Profession.

To change Protection for the Category, you need to switch to the Manage tab in the Ribbon and select Categories, then pick the Category you want to change and use its Options icon to Remove Protection.

FWIW, what I believe you've done is add a "Tags (Multi-Domain)" Snippet. A "Tags" snippet is restricted to one Tag Domain, but the Multi-Domain version lets you add Tags from any Domain. That's why you see the title of the Snippet ("Profession") and the Domain of the Tag ("Class") as well as the Tag itself ("Researcher").

Hope this helps.

Parody is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 25th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
What you're trying to do is rename the Class Snippet in an Individual. Because it's one of the Snippets from the Category definition, you'd have to go into the Category definition and rename it there. Alternatively, you can hide it and create a new Snippet definition, which is less likely to cause problems later. A third option (if you don't need to do it for every Individual) is to delete the Class Snippet it from this specific Individual and add a new Tags Snippet named Profession.

Hope this helps.
It did, somewhat. I was able to add the new snippet and hide the old one under the manage tab . The problem is the old "Class" snippet still shows up, and the new "Profession" snippet doesn't even show up in the options to add a new snippet. All the other categories are there even when I create a new character. I did notice, and the problem might be, that the new "profession" snippet I duplicated from "class" is not a global snippet, it's listed as a local snippet. I looked and could not find an option to make it a global snippet.

Bruce

This has been edited!!

Last edited by Madmaxneo; May 25th, 2014 at 09:40 PM.
Madmaxneo is offline   #10 Reply With Quote