Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Geronimo82

Old May 17th, 2014, 08:02 AM
This is kinda aimed down the road, say year and a half to two years (or later), but is there a possibility that RW will get a version that is stand alone from the cloud server? I've been keeping an eye on it since the idea cropped up and the core of the program -the campaign notes- is really all I need. The whole VTT stuff is fine, but not something I'm interested in.
Geronimo82 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 17th, 2014, 08:48 AM
it currently is stand alone. you just need 3 seconds of cloud service to create the realms locally then you can work offline (and cancel cloud service).

Of course, you couldnt sync to players, but you could show in player view.
mirtos is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old May 17th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo82 View Post
The whole VTT stuff is fine, but not something I'm interested in.
RealmWorks is not a VTT at all.

You can show maps to your players, but that's just about the only VTTish functionality.

It's mostly for storing and sharing knowledge about your realm. It's campaign management software.

Last edited by MaxSupernova; May 17th, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
MaxSupernova is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old May 17th, 2014, 11:16 AM
To expand slightly: RW is intentionally designed not to have VTT functionality. Lone Wolf didn't want to reinvent the wheel.

First and foremost, Realm Works is for GMs to store and manage their campaign information, whether it be background info, stat blocks, maps, whatever, and link it together into a coherent whole. The cloud service and player reveal are extremely useful extras, but are in no way required.

Several of the features will work wonderfully alongside a VTT, and I will not be surprised to hear that LWD are looking at exposing RW to VTTs to simplify sharing information during game sessions, but the true beauty of RW is in information management, not live gaming.
Chemlak is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
GThiel

Old May 17th, 2014, 11:48 AM
But in dual monitor mode, RW works very well to reveal dungeon maps to the players and then if required we sketch out the rooms on plexiglass over a square-grid mat.

No more me trying to describe the room (door immediately on the left, NO, the Other left .. .. ..)

And players no longer (more often was me) drawing out the dungeon as explored on grid paper. Just load up RW and the map state is were it was from the last session.
GThiel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Geronimo82

Old May 17th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I understand it's not a dedicated VTT. I kind of lump 'showing the players stuff' in the VTT area. And the initial sync is part of why I said stand alone. Other then up dates, I don't see myself needing anything else from Lone Wolf. And the features their offering compared to other programs is why I asked my question.

I've been writing things on legal pads up till now, I can continue to do that. A stand alone Realm Works is more a nice want then a desperate need.
Geronimo82 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 17th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Well, as noted, you can use RealmWorks "off-line" as much as you want except when actually creating a new Realm. And as far as I know, that's not actually part of the paid "cloud service"; the stub records for a Realm on the cloud server exist in case someone who starts with "all off-line" later wants to make use of the cloud service. It doesn't force anyone to use the cloud service (at least as described so far).

Given that, I don't think LoneWolf sees much need for a version that could never connect.. since that would mean the user could not easily change his/her mind and decide to add the cloud service (at least not without starting over entering all the data again).
Silveras is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Geronimo82

Old May 17th, 2014, 09:06 PM
If you have to handshake with the server at the start of every realm, then your being forced to use it. Ergo, not a stand alone program.

That's why I asked about the possibility of it down the road, because it doesn't seem like it would be too big of a piece of code to remove from the program, if all the server is there to do is provide a unique id once.

And they didn't foresee a time when Army Builder 3 wouldn't have licensing when it first came out, but they have more or less removed it now.
Geronimo82 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Portilis

Old May 18th, 2014, 01:35 AM
Alternatively, the recommendation made by Lone Wolf has been to create a bunch of spare realms when you start, and just use/reuse them if you don't want to use the cloud.
Portilis is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old May 18th, 2014, 03:24 PM
You don't need the paid cloud service to create realms from what I understand. That function is cloud service, but it's free.

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)
Kairos is offline   #10 Reply With Quote