Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old May 30th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Just curious how others are using "idea" topics.

I use them to job down quick ideas, which I often revisit multiple times to flesh out more. But after I "use them" by, for example, creating the adventure based on the idea, I've been deleting the idea topics.

The way I use them, I don't have any use or need for them after I've created the adventure from them. And so far, they have all be ideas for adventures. For large plots and stories, I just create a story line.

How else should I be using idea topics?
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old May 31st, 2015, 01:09 AM
Not sure what you are talking about...

Is it the plot idea other Other?

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 31st, 2015, 01:24 AM
I haven't used the Plot Idea Category. I'd rather create an incomplete something else or use some other mechanism, like a text document or physical notepad, for my starter ideas.

Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old May 31st, 2015, 06:57 AM
Ah, Young Grasshopper. It is not what you "should" but what you "could" that you should focus on. The river is made up of many tributaries big and small.

I run sandboxes, so I would use Plot Idea to jot down possible directions, rumor, things that I wake up at night and think of, new villages/dungeons/NPCs, how things link together in the schemes of the deities, musings on food/culture/society.... I use the category as a reminder. And I use it to write things down so my brain can focus on other things other than feebly trying to remember.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 31st, 2015, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
Not sure what you are talking about...

Is it the plot idea other Other?
Yes, Plot Idea.
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 31st, 2015, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I haven't used the Plot Idea Category. I'd rather create an incomplete something else or use some other mechanism, like a text document or physical notepad, for my starter ideas.
The problem with that, for me, is that I forget about my drafts. But as I type this, I've just realized that want I need is a new Topic/Article Status tag.

If I can mark something as an "idea", "draft", "needs work" etc. I would have an easy way of filtering down to topics I started to create when I had an idea but never filled out. My data in RW is getting to the point that it is easy to forget about unfinished topics and articles.

I've been using "plot ideas" is a sort of draft topic.

Yes...a custom workflow tag domain...THAT's what I really wanted. With that, I'm not sure that I need a plot ideas topic at all.
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old June 1st, 2015, 05:32 AM
There are utility tag empty incomplete and I believe finished as well. Just add them to this section?

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old June 1st, 2015, 01:02 PM
I actually like the tag method better than the Plot Idea category.

The tag interface needs some love in a few years to make it more friendly.
AEIOU is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old June 1st, 2015, 01:35 PM
yup, less clicks to accomplish X would be nice.

Suggestions:
Allow context menus in all areas that allow easy access to all functions which make sense at the current possition. Effect: no searching the ribbon bar, only valid options shown. Still possible to use the normal menue buttons.

Would be also great to define a easier update feature similar to this:
- Through a new menu, that allows to select tags / containment / views etc (everything important must be there). This default data is then stored.
- Some icon or the mouse button shows then that data is stored.
- Now if user does CTRL + left click on topic - bam - all stored features will be applied. Without warning, dialog or popup.

Effect: Easier updating and reaarranging of bulk updates. Depending on how easy this new bulk update menu is accessible this could allow for very easy updating.

Instead of a menue there are of course a lot of other options like keyboard shortcuts ...

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old June 1st, 2015, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
There are utility tag empty incomplete and I believe finished as well. Just add them to this section?
I didn't even realize that this existed. More often than not, they've already thought of what I need and I just need to look for it. :-)
MNBlockHead is offline   #10 Reply With Quote