Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:42 AM
The game I play (HARP) is a system focused on skills. I would like to start putting some skill descriptions into Realm Works so the players have a better understanding of certain skills and how they work. I could easily create another category and add the spells under that as sections. But I am not so sure that is the best way. For those that use a skill system in their games and have input some skills how did you do it?

This is also a question for those that have input spell descriptions into their Realm Works, as I need to input the spells also (which are handled just like skills in this game).
Madmaxneo is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 24th, 2015, 10:50 AM
I'm surprised no one answered. Someone else from another forum for the game I play helped me out. Since no one else has answered.....
This is easily explained by simply going to the Mechanics Reference section and scrolling down until you find the Abilities section and under that is Skill/Ability. Enter in the skill category here then right click on that skill category and click "Create Contained Article". The first time this is done you will need to make sure you select the correct "Simple Grouping", then "Category", but also ensure you have the correct container checked in the section to the right of that. As a side note once you have entered the name of the skill you can select either "Create" or "Create and open in New Tab" which is a real handy set of options.
Madmaxneo is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 24th, 2015, 12:08 PM
I read this, but am unfamiliar with the HARP system and was not sure how its skill-system worked. I guess I read too much into your question and figured that I was not qualified to answer. If you simply asked "how do you organize skills in RW", I would have given an answer similar to that you have received.

My Mechanics article tree looks like this:

ABILITIES
>Skill/Ability
>>Languages
>>>Dwarvish (Khudzul)
>Spell
>>Acid Splash

And so forth.

I'm still have a lot to enter here. So far it hasn't been a priority, because I just reference the print books. Also in DD5, skills are tied into Ability Scores and I'm still thinking about how I would organize them in RW. Currently I have ability scores under a general Gameplay Article I called "Using Ability Scores" and have a sub-article for each ability: Charisma, Constitution, ...

In DD5, skills are pretty easy to use. You just need to know which Ability governs a skill and whether you have proficiency in it.

What I am thinking about doing eventually is creating a Skills/Abilities subcategory called "Proficiencies" and then creating an article for each. I would create a relationship between the proficiency and the governing Ability. I would also add the governing ability abbreviation as a suffix to the proficiency's article name, so it reads "Acrobatics (STR)". That way I can look at the list of proficiencies and readily see the governing ability, which is generally all you need to know in DD5.

That said, this would all be more for my OCD personality wanting things to be complete. The character sheets themselves in DD5 tell you which ability governs a proficiency. Looking up a proficiency in RW would be more work than looking at your character sheet.

Feats, on the other hand, benefit from having articles. So "Feats" is a subcategory of skills/abilities.

I'm not sure, however, how to treat something like "Darkvision". I'm thinking I'll have a subcategory called "Racial Traits" or "Natural Abilities". Haven't decided yet.

I've been devoting most of my time building my homebrew world and I must admit to neglecting the game mechanics section. With a few exceptions, the task of data entry seems more onerous than flipping pages in the rule books. Still, knowing my personality, I'll get to it eventually and it is good to starting thinking more about how I'll organize this informaiton.

Last edited by MNBlockHead; May 24th, 2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Minor edits for grammar and fixing spelling and typos.
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 24th, 2015, 08:31 PM
I've attached a picture of my Paranoia XP skill tree:

Paranoia Skills Thumbnail.png

Paranoia XP has 6 Primary Skills where other systems have Attributes, and Specialties where other systems have Skills. Given the simplicity of the Paranoia system compared to other, "not-fun" games, my custom Skill and Specialty categories don't have that much to them.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: png Paranoia Skills.png (103.1 KB, 39 views)

Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 24th, 2015, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I've attached a picture of my Paranoia XP skill tree:

Attachment 3804

Paranoia XP has 6 Primary Skills where other systems have Attributes, and Specialties where other systems have Skills. Given the simplicity of the Paranoia system compared to other, "not-fun" games, my custom Skill and Specialty categories don't have that much to them.

Hope this helps.
That looks good and interesting. I almost played paranoia when it first came out in 80 something, but my friends and I were into other things like Marvel Superheroes (best years of role playing there) and some D&D 2ed. I have always wanted to try it but never asked the group I was running if they wanted to try it. I may try it with this group and it will probably be fun.

BTW fun in a game is more from the way the GM and the players interact and less from the game mechanics... A good example was I GM'd a game that a lot of people might say is not that fun, but my players and I had a blast. The game was Rolemaster! It is and always will be my all time favorite RPG and I can't wait for the next edition called RMU (Rolemaster Unified).
Madmaxneo is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old May 25th, 2015, 06:37 AM
No game other than Paranoia is fun.

Friend Computer says so.
MaxSupernova is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 25th, 2015, 09:21 AM
LOL, yeah I get it. I remember reading the rules for the game it sounded twisted and fun.
Madmaxneo is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 25th, 2015, 12:19 PM
I missed the kickstarter, but am looking forward to getting the new Paranoia when it hits retail.
MNBlockHead is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 25th, 2015, 05:08 PM
I'm skeptical of the new card-based Paranoia, but I was in on the Kickstarter and it'll be interesting to see what comes out of it. It's not like other editions just disappear. :)

Aside: "not-fun" isn't really meant as a slam on other games. It's a tongue-in-cheek way the various Paranoia writers have referred to other games over the years. (So it's a slam, but a pretty soft one. Maybe a d4 non-lethal damage.)

Last edited by Parody; May 25th, 2015 at 05:10 PM.
Parody is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 25th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I'm skeptical of the new card-based Paranoia, but I was in on the Kickstarter and it'll be interesting to see what comes out of it. It's not like other editions just disappear. :)

Aside: "not-fun" isn't really meant as a slam on other games. It's a tongue-in-cheek way the various Paranoia writers have referred to other games over the years. (So it's a slam, but a pretty soft one. Maybe a d4 non-lethal damage.)
LOL... yeah I kind of got that when you mentioned "Friend Computer"....
Madmaxneo is offline   #10 Reply With Quote