Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

DMG

Old January 5th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Hi,

I've spent the last few days plugging The Emerald Spire into RW. We started playing it using d20 Pro on Saturday night & had a blast. As the group was rampaging their way through the first level, I kept revealing info in RW so they could have a synched version at games' end.

However, when I switched over to the Player Edition view (not the player view), I noticed that the room names were showing the Identifier tag eg "Main Entrance (A1)". Because my players are meta gamers, if they get A1 to A15, but are missing A7 (for example), then they'll know they've missed something & will go looking for secret rooms in the vicinity of A6 & A8.

So is it possible to hide the identifiers in the Player Edition?

I've searched the forums & the documentation, but couldn't find anything about this.

Thanks,
Jim.
DMG is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 5th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Identifiers are getting some updates in the future. Prefixes or suffixes are getting changes. This issue has been brought up before and I think the metagaming was going to be addressed.
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old January 5th, 2015, 05:07 PM
While probably not convenient, in the short term you could move that information to a dedicated GM snippet.
pyremius is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old January 5th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the answer AEIOU.
DMG is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old January 5th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyremius View Post
While probably not convenient, in the short term you could move that information to a dedicated GM snippet.
Looks like you posted while I was responding to AEIOU...

At the moment, I have the identifier, along with an alias of just the ID for referencing.

I certainly could remove the ID's for the time being, however I'll probably be too lazy to add them back in later.

I think I will as I know how damn sneaky my players are.
DMG is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Cornelius

Old January 6th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Another tip:
Intentionally miss several identifiers. The first time they will let them search for a long, long time and not finding anything. It will cure these kind of metagaming actions quickly.
Especially if a nasty NPC group or the local cops are on their tail.
Cornelius is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old January 6th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
Another tip:
Intentionally miss several identifiers. The first time they will let them search for a long, long time and not finding anything. It will cure these kind of metagaming actions quickly.
Especially if a nasty NPC group or the local cops are on their tail.
Sneaky! I like it!

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 6th, 2015, 03:48 PM
@Cornelius: You have a devious mind. I had a boss once that would always find the infrequent error I made. At one point I mentioned to a co-worker where I could be overheard that I always put one mistake in every document I write on purpose. It drove my boss crazy afterwards on documents that I didn't make a mistake on....

Leave blocks of unused space that COULD be a room in your dungeon layouts.

Use the same ID number twice or insert a letter from time to time.

"Accidently" name a room "Player Deathtrap" and after revealing go back and unreveal it and say you gave them the wrong room name alias. Your bad....
AEIOU is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 6th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post

"Accidently" name a room "Player Deathtrap" and after revealing go back and unreveal it and say you gave them the wrong room name alias. Your bad....
LOL ROFL... I Like that...
long before the advent of electronics at the table, I would "leave maps out" With Secret doors and pits marked on them (of course in the wrong places) to keep those prying eyes "honest"... Like the Idea of bringing that to the "21st century" hehehe
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old January 7th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
However, when I switched over to the Player Edition view (not the player view), I noticed that the room names were showing the Identifier tag eg "Main Entrance (A1)". Because my players are meta gamers, if they get A1 to A15, but are missing A7 (for example), then they'll know they've missed something & will go looking for secret rooms in the vicinity of A6 & A8.

So is it possible to hide the identifiers in the Player Edition?
Darn it! This is bad, very bad. I addressed meta gamers during the beta on a different issue. I thought what was was seen in Player View was similar to what Player Mode showed. I have only had two opportunities to use Player Mode with my players and didn't really look at what they were able to see. I hope this is high on the "Need to Fix" list.
ruhar is offline   #10 Reply With Quote