Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Jeff Wilder

Old September 12th, 2010, 11:08 AM
First off, I'm loving Hero Lab. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get it.

Second, although I'm currently playing M&M2E, I bought the M&M3E data set because I knew I'd eventually be switching. I'm waiting until the rulebook is in second printing, to avoid the worst of any errata, so it's going to be several months.

So I decided to check into the pricing of M&M2. If it were $20, I was going to go ahead and buy it, even though I'd be switching relatively soon. Unfortunately, the two M&M2 sets are (together) $40, which caused me to rethink my purchase.

I'd like to suggest that M&M2E data sets be offered for 50% of current price. Limitations could be placed on this. For example, it could be offered for those people who have previously purchased (or are concurrently purchasing) the M&M3E dataset.

To be very clear, I do not think Lone Wolf is over-charging anybody. A year ago, knowing what I know now about Hero Lab, I would have paid the $40 and been happy to do so, because the product is spectacular. But just as I stopped purchasing M&M2E rulebooks after determining that I would be switching to 3E, I can't justify full price for the M&M2E data sets.

So obviously I have a reason I'd like to see the 2E data sets dropped in price, but I also think it's highly likely that there are a number of M&M GMs out there, like me, who would buy the data sets at a reduced price. As sales of the 2E data sets are likely trickling to a near-halt, reducing the price could simultaneously juice the income from them, and (if the restriction of "with purchase of 3E data set" were included) drive sales of the 3E data set.

Thanks for reading.

--
Jeff Wilder - San Francisco Bay Area
Currently GMing Pathfinder 1E
And if you bore me, you lose your soul to me. - Belly
Jeff Wilder is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
risner
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 13th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I love HL also.

I felt similar with respect to D20 ("MM2E") and Pathfinder ("MM3E"), but reconsidered my objection because some people still use D20 and have not embraced Pathfinder.

If most have embraced MM3E as a replacement to MM2E, then reducing or combining the two datasets makes sense.
risner is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old September 13th, 2010, 08:26 AM
My two cents (about what it's worth ); Eventually it makes sense to combine all the M&M2 material into one data set, thus giving the whole thing a de facto price reduction.

It's really too early to do that now, though. M&M3 isn't even out as a separate book, and the M&M3 data set is still in beta. Maybe after Green Ronin starts releasing actual supplemental material for M&M3 (as opposed to DC sourcebooks), especially if Lone Wolf determines that the new material needs to be priced as add-ons rather than being added to the main M&M3 package; at that point, combining the M&M2 material would be a good marketing move.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Send a message via MSN to atlarman Send a message via Yahoo to atlarman

Old September 13th, 2010, 09:08 AM
i agree w/ both above posts as for me.... at least for the foreseeable future i'll probable have one foot in each edition... thank the gods of green ronin the two are at least in a similar enough ball park rules and concept wise to do so easily lol.
by one foot in each i mean 3E (DCA) And 2E (M&M at least until 3E gets rolling)
atlarman is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Send a message via MSN to atlarman Send a message via Yahoo to atlarman

Old September 13th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I agree with above two posts as I myself see for the forseeable future anyway having one foot in each edition( 3e -DCA/ 2e -M&M at least until 3rd M&M gets rolling....thank the gods of GR publishing that the two systems are close enough to allow this easily lol.)

BTW- I am one of those D20 holdouts mentioned above I did not continue on to PF SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THE AMOUNT OF 3.5 d20 I own and still use.....with no desire to sell off and replace just for an upgrade. that and the sheer cost it would bring to do PF justice on my shelf.

forum staff- if you must delete one of my two posts ...please keep this one. Thanks.

Last edited by atlarman; September 13th, 2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: sorry for the double post my laptop is wigging out on me wasnt sure if the 1st posted..to staff if you delete one of them..pl
atlarman is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 13th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by risner View Post
I love HL also.

I felt similar with respect to D20 ("MM2E") and Pathfinder ("MM3E"), but reconsidered my objection because some people still use D20 and have not embraced Pathfinder.

If most have embraced MM3E as a replacement to MM2E, then reducing or combining the two datasets makes sense.
Yeah, my folks still fullly embrace D&D 3.5 (aka D20) and not Pathfinder. Probably because between us, we have all the D&D 3.5 books. We haven't convinced the DM to pick up HL yet but we have gotten his best friend, a real stick-in-the-mud holdout, to pick up HL so I'm sure it's only a matter of time. By the way, all praise to the cheeseweasel.net site & all who contribute to it for curbing a lot of the guy's criticism that "non-core" material isn't supported by HL.

Now, as for discounts....I agree with the folks on this thread....once 3E hits the store shelves as a book & thus no longer has the potential of becoming yet another disappointing bit of vaporware, then a price adjustment would be something to consider.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; September 13th, 2010 at 09:47 AM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 14th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks for your feedback, everyone.

This is the first time a game licensed by Hero Lab has gone through an edition change (not counting d20, since we were just operating under the d20 license), so we're keeping a close eye on pricing / sales of the M&M 2nd edition data sets. However, M&M3 isn't even officially out yet, so we'll probably wait a bit longer before making any changes.
Colen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote