Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Under Development > Tournament Ace Discussion

Notices

kiwi_nz

Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Is tournament ace able to run stand alone?

I too have the impression from the specs that it will need Internet access to work.
That also rules it our for us as our club books various venues for tournaments and Internet access is rarely available.
We would have to find a 3G card, laptop, or hire that equipment at extra cost.

Would prefer to have the software run on a standalone PC for the duration of the tournament, the whole weekend, or even the a number of months.
Maybe have the software export the results to a file and we take that home and upload to the main server?

Have limited club funds and they don't stretch to the expense of having broadband to the hired club rooms.

thanks
kiwi_nz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:18 PM
When we go first to Beta, and probably when it first officially releases, Tournament Ace will require an internet connection. We would like to also support an offline version, but that entails many additional considerations and will be looked at after we get the initial version ready.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dbgoldberg323

Old October 13th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
We would like to also support an offline version
Honestly, not being able to run this software offline kills the whole damn thing for several gaming clubs at my LGS and several others.

When we (myself and others at my LGS) first heard of this program, we were overjoyed! Not one company out there has software that will do what you plan on doing with this program (miniatures tournaments, card tournaments, swiss styles, single-elim styles, campaign modes, etc).

You've got a ton of potential clients for this program, and unfortunately not every location on earth has a Wi-Fi hotspot within 10'. If you choose to go the "internet connection required" route, you will not be reaching your target demographic as most people leave their houses and Wi-Fi areas to go to tournaments and events, where this software will be needed the most.

When the clubs at my LGS found out about the requirements, one of them said "well I guess that answered the question as to whether or not I was going to buy that program", and I couldn't agree more.

Please, for the love of god, have the program START with offline capabilities, and THEN make the internet stuff optional. You can't run a tournament from home!

"Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six." -Admiral Adama

My Blog
dbgoldberg323 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Lesserevil

Old May 4th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Just a Suggestion, If a service is the way your going then I would suggest creating a version that would run without an internet connection. The user would have to upload the tournament after it is complete before being able to create another one, or allow up to four tournaments and they must be uploaded before being able to run another one. allow scheduling of them but not run them until the upload took place.

I would rather have a stand alone version and not have to keep paying for a service.
Lesserevil is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
vonjenk

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I run tournaments in the UK for many different systems and many are in village halls or other remote locations: the internet is not a reality for many wargame tournament locations. Up until I read Ace was not stand alone I was all set to sign up for beta testing and grab the credit card.

I'll go back to Excel then. In my opinion you are missing a huge chunk of the marketplace if you don't release this as stand-alone.
vonjenk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
bcoon

Old May 28th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I would agree that this product would not be a go for me or my group
unless it could run stand alone. Most venues we use do not have/allow
connections to their networks.
Personal preference also has a lot to do with it. I like to manage my own
data, thank you
bcoon is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
vonjenk

Old July 1st, 2011, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoon View Post
I would agree that this product would not be a go for me or my group
unless it could run stand alone. Most venues we use do not have/allow
connections to their networks.
Personal preference also has a lot to do with it. I like to manage my own
data, thank you
That's a very good point. The data protection act in the UK would cause me headaches if this is online only. I'd have to get all sorts of consent forms so that the data can be stored electronically for each event. We'd also need written and signed confirmations that the data would not be used for any purpose by Wolflair or 3rd parties.

To store data locally is usually much easier and doesn't require a variety of hoops to be dived through.

In that case I can definately say this product will not be for me in its current form. Shame really as this would be a godsend...

Please reconsider.
vonjenk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Darkwind

Old February 7th, 2013, 05:18 AM
I know this is an old topic, and I see work is currently suspended on Tournament Ace.

But I thought I'd lend my voice here.

I was excited to see Tournament Ace, as I use various other (offline) programs that work decent, but this looked to be a godo replacement.

But seeing that it is currently not intended as a stand alone product puts me in the "keep looking" or "stay with what I have" category.

Local game days and local game conventions don't always have Internet access (rarely, actually) and that uis where I nromally run tournaments. If I can't have a stand alone application for my laptop, then it does me no good.

Thanks.
Darkwind is offline   #8 Reply With Quote