Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Merion

Old November 23rd, 2018, 01:52 AM
With a background in geography, maps are naturally rather important to me and my playstyle as a GM. So I thought I might just gather my suggestions on how Smart Images aka Maps in Realm Works could be improved.

For reference, these are the suggestions that kbs666 has on his list:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
1) Permanent labels (IMO these should only appear at a certain zoom state or at some other trigger to reduce clutter but that is another thing that could be worked out)
2) links directly to other maps
3) image maps in RW (a defined region in an image that is a link)
4) allowing multiple kinds and colors of pins (should simply allow users to install their own BMP or whatever the image is somewhere).
5) Allow links to map pins, this would open the map and center it on the map zoomed at some level with the map center on the pin (perhaps with the pin also highlighted in some way)
6) Reveal smart image by drawing a polygon rather than using the default method. Simply put a number of points on the screen and close the polygon by clicking the first point to reveal the area inside.
7) A number of items have been removed under the assumption that 64 bit will solve a lot of smart image issues
And here are my additions:

8) the ability to copy pins
Context: I'm creating a dungeon with different levels of locks. This is pathfinder so correlated with the difficulty check to pick these locks. Now I have around 12 doors with DC 15, 8 with DC 17, 4 with DC 20 and one with DC 22.
As a DM I want to put pins on all the doors with the DC of the lock, put the DC in the GM only section and have the information at hand just by hovering over the door. But this means I have to create 25 pins manually.
Would be great if I could just create 3 different pins and then copy and drag them as I need.

8a) Copy and drag pins between maps
Suggestion by Greebo and Farling

9) line breaks in Pin Popup for GM Directions
It works for the regular description, but not for the GM Directions field. Makes the important notes hard to read sometimes

10) Popup duration
It's currently set for 10 sec (I think), which is fine during editing and preparation. But during a game session, I read, I talk to the player, I want to read again, but the popup is gone. So I need to move the mouse back and forth and then read the info I need. This breaks the game flow unnecessarily. I would expect this to be an option under preferences.

11) show current zoom in Player View
When running a session, it would be neat if I could not only reveal and show the map in player view, but show it to the player view with the same zoom level and center as in the smart image tab.

Last edited by Merion; November 26th, 2018 at 11:16 PM.
Merion is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 23rd, 2018, 09:09 AM
8) Has come up before, once IIRC, and I thought it was something that just wouldn't come up all that often TBH. Maybe others will feel differently.

9) I think is a bug and should be submitted as such.

10) Falls, at least partially, under permanent labels from my list. Although I guess you could be looking for more than the name of the pin when you say popup. But the popup setting should be configurable.

11) I think once 64 bit comes out this will be one people will want a lot more as maps will get larger.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old November 24th, 2018, 05:25 PM
I twirls echo all of his add-ons, and I can see the pen copy being very useful as well.
Bidmaron is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old November 26th, 2018, 11:47 AM
I like all of the suggestions - so +1 from me :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old November 26th, 2018, 08:58 PM
+1

I like them, too. Especially #8 would be useful to me, since I could copy the pins for certain landmarks to start populating the next lower level maps (e.g. city hall, the mall etc. from the city map to the map of the downtown district).

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 26th, 2018, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
+1

I like them, too. Especially #8 would be useful to me, since I could copy the pins for certain landmarks to start populating the next lower level maps (e.g. city hall, the mall etc. from the city map to the map of the downtown district).
Copy and drag pins between maps is a second level of copy-paste compared to only within the same map.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old November 26th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Copy and drag pins between maps is a second level of copy-paste compared to only within the same map.
I like the idea, but I'm curious how you would implement this.

It would be necessary to be able to drag the pin out of the smart image, onto another tab and back into a smart image. Or copy it and send it to another smart image, similar to copying and moving snippets.

A workaround for now, could be to copy the whole smart image and then replace the image, thus keeping the pins over the new image. Then rearrange the pins. Not great, but should be working.

Nevertheless, I gladly add the suggestion to the OP.

Last edited by Merion; November 26th, 2018 at 11:16 PM.
Merion is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old November 27th, 2018, 07:20 AM
Yes, it may be more complicated, then I first thought. But I am no dev, only a user.

I thought along the lines of copy to clipboard and then "just" paste it, like I can do in CC3+ from one map to another.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn

Last edited by Greebo; November 27th, 2018 at 07:23 AM.
Greebo is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old November 27th, 2018, 11:39 PM
Quote:
I thought along the lines of copy to clipboard and then "just" paste it, like I can do in CC3+ from one map to another.
Well, it might be as simple as that. I'm no programmer either and have no insight in the inner workings of RW, so let's just put it out there and see if LWD finds a way to make it work.
Merion is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old November 30th, 2018, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
8) the ability to copy pins
+1
This would be SO helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
10) Popup duration
+1
If the cursor is still over the pin the popup should stay up like in HL.
ruhar is offline   #10 Reply With Quote