Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Sarelth

Old July 15th, 2019, 11:34 AM
I was writing out the Contingency service as an item and copy pasted the description from D20PFSRD and it is telling me there is a character or characters in it that are not allowed. I can not seem to find which one it is though. I removed all the tabs and anything that I thought looked wrong. Also, any tips on formatting would be great. This is just for my group as a place holder until we get the book with it in it.

Here is the text:
Quote:
Contingency services are similar to contacts but represent paying hirelings in advance for future services that begin after a specified signal or time limit. Unlike contacts, most contingency services are arranged as a single transaction, buying one service performed in case of a specific event.

The first step to arranging for such services is finding appropriate hirelings to pay for the job. With a successful DC 15 Diplomacy check, a character locates 1st-level commoners, experts, or warriors in a small town or larger settlement. At the GM’s discretion, you can recruit higher-level hirelings by increasing the DC by 5 per level above 1st. Enlisting hirelings with PC classes or rare skills increases the DC by 5. The highest-level hireling you can find in a settlement is at most twice the level of spellcasting available in that settlement. The modifiers for settlement size also apply on Diplomacy checks to hire contingency services. A successful check locates 1d6 skeptical or 2d6 wary hirelings. Exceeding the DC by 5 allows you to add 1d6 hirelings or increase the Trust of your hirelings by 1.

Characters with Leadership can use followers to perform contingency services. Though followers wish to help their leader, they can still decide a specific task is too dangerous or questionable for them, and refuse to undertake it. Followers have a base Trust of 4 and charge one-tenth the normal wages.

Negotiation: When hiring contingency services, you need to outline what you want your hirelings to do, and under what circumstances you want them to do it. Examples include watching over an ally (or animal companion or mount) or business and defending it if attacked, attempting to recover your body from a dungeon and have you raised from the dead if you don’t return to town in 2 weeks, paying your fines to get you out of jail if you send word you’ve been arrested, or sending reinforcements to a specified location if contacted by carrier pigeon.

Negotiation checks work as for contacts, though the Risk of contingency services comes from the danger involved in performing the task (should it prove necessary), even if the task is perfectly legal and moral.

While you can arrange for illegal contingency services (such as paying an assassin to murder anyone who kills you), the risk of the task is more important than the legality. If Risk exceeds a hireling’s Trust, a hireling will not automatically refuse the job, but this adds 5 to the result of her opposed Diplomacy check per category of difference. Tasks generally have a Risk of 1, adjusted as follows.

Danger Modifier Condition
+1 Challenging wilderness terrain (coastal waters, hills, plains, forests)
+1 Hostile nonsentient inhabitants (CR equal to or less than hireling’s level)
+1 Unfriendly sentient inhabitants (CR exceeding hireling’s level)
+2 Harsh climate/terrain (arctic, cavern, deep water, desert, mountain, swamp)
+2 Hostile sentient inhabitants (CR exceeding hireling’s level)

Cost: You must pay hirelings up front for all the work you expect them to do. Hireling wages are based on the most dangerous work they perform each day. If you arrange for a group of mercenaries to watch over your horses and defend the horses if attacked, you must pay them both for the amount of time you wish them to watch over the stable, and for engaging in a fight. Securing service requires at least one week’s wages paid in advance, though you can put more into this retainer fund. Once service begins, hirelings deduct their wages from the fund automatically.

Risk Category Base Cost per Hireling*
1 Harmless 3 sp/day
2 Questionable 6 sp/day
3 Hazardous 1 gp/day
4 Deadly 3 gp/day
5 Suicidal 3 pp/day
* Multiply cost by the level of each hireling squared.

When funds run out, hirelings may remain on duty.

Attempt a new negotiation check (even if you are not physically present) each day or your hirelings abandon their task. Hirelings who remain expect double pay for unpaid days worked. Failure to pay immediately reduces the hirelings’ Trust to 1.

Trust Modifier Condition
+1 Retainer exceeds one month’s wages
–1 You are absent over a month
–1 Retainer runs out of money
Emergency Funds: You may entrust emergency funds to your hirelings for spellcasting, bribes, etc. If their Trust is below 4, make an opposed Diplomacy check each month with a –5 penalty per Trust level below 3. Failure results in embezzlement squandering 1d10×10% of your emergency funds.

Success: Determining if hirelings can successfully carry out the contingency service you pay them for is handled with a skill or ability check, as it is with contacts. A failed check can be retried 1d6 hours later, with a –1 penalty per failed check that day. Failure by 5 or more typically results in a failure so severe the hirelings give up or are incapable of trying again. The GM is the ultimate arbiter of what skill checks are appropriate, with a few examples given below as guidance.

Relevant Check Task
Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate Negotiate ransom for hostages or corpses
Disable Device or Strength check Break into a locked building
Perception Guard against ambush or theft
Disguise or Stealth Sneak into or out of enemy camp or lair
Survival Find creature or body in the wilderness, moving safely through the wilderness
Strength check (+BAB) Fight past enemy guards to reach PCs

Current Games:
5E Homebrew - DM

Recent Games:
Shadowrun 5E - GM
Pathfinder Homebrew - DM
Curse of Strahd 5E - Player

My HL Files - Birthright, Creatures, and items
Birthright Setting and D20Despot Let me know if it breaks.
Sarelth is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old July 15th, 2019, 12:15 PM
It could be a couple of characters, not sure what Herolab supports, but try changing the following:

The apostrophes in words like hireling’s are not the standard apostrophe. The multiplication symbol in 1d10×10, try changing it to an x. The minus in "–1" is also not a standard dash symbol.
Toblakai is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old July 16th, 2019, 10:04 AM
A (somewhat) good approach can be to paste into a simple editor, like Notepad, save the file as "ASCII" (forcing Notepad to remove any Unicode chars), and then copy/paste from there into HL.

Many older applications don't have proper support for Unicode, and some languages make it more difficult than others (Java has built in Unicode support, for example, while C and C++ make it more difficult). It's actually quite a pain to "get it right"...
Azhrei is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sarelth

Old July 16th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the help. My eyes must be getting old, I just could not see some of those at all.

Current Games:
5E Homebrew - DM

Recent Games:
Shadowrun 5E - GM
Pathfinder Homebrew - DM
Curse of Strahd 5E - Player

My HL Files - Birthright, Creatures, and items
Birthright Setting and D20Despot Let me know if it breaks.
Sarelth is offline   #4 Reply With Quote