Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun

Notices

Dinendae

Old March 28th, 2014, 05:10 AM
Not to mention that with several companies involved with the Shadowrun license itself, it took a bit to get approval to work on SR5 for Hero Lab. As pointed out, it's not the only project they have. Heck, with as much stuff as Pathfinder cranks out, it's a wonder they can get work done on anything else.
Dinendae is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
BlueMax

Old March 28th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinendae View Post
Not to mention that with several companies involved with the Shadowrun license itself, it took a bit to get approval to work on SR5 for Hero Lab. As pointed out, it's not the only project they have. Heck, with as much stuff as Pathfinder cranks out, it's a wonder they can get work done on anything else.
Its good to know a few things
1. That they started from scratch
2. That they are busy and Shadowrun really is a backseat project.

Many of us already know the Shadowrun license is... convoluted at best.

I am in the industry, so I understand the concept of Mythical Man Month. Thus, I am not saying they could pour new engineers in today and get the product out tomorrow.
However, if as you point out Pathfinder consumes the development cycles of the current developers/QA , then fundraising could help fund new additions for shadowrun in the future. If they are still working on the basebook for another year, Run and Gun will sit in the queue.
While not cheap, lets say in the hundreds of thousands, a target fundraising goal to hire a dev now and bring her up to speed over the next six months would be awesome. Then starting in 2015, Shadowrun can get already licensed product support down to a 6 month lag time. Already its been Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb-March since the SR5 announcement.

I'd kick in some money as its certainly better to have one common and supported tool, over a myriad of broken tools from the net.
BlueMax is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 28th, 2014, 09:28 AM
I'm kind of sad... as a member of the Catalyst Labs Demo Team, I pretty much just ran Shadowrun. Using HL to stat out and track NPCs was something that helped me be able to run SR at conventions.

But with SR5 out since Origins 2013(and they had to have gotten pre-release materials to LW), and Origins 2014 being about 2 months away it makes me sad.

If they could work out a structured set of code/rules to handle everything, they could do what they did with SR 4, which was to hire 3rd party contract data entry clerks to enter SR5's data for them.

At the same time, Catalyst hasn't exactly been forthcoming on releases either... we've got what... 2 Shadowrun Missions for Season 5? Technically this year should be Season 6.... but even if it was Season 5... we're still at a point where we should have had more.

Working on Twilight 2000 4e HL System
cryptoknight is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Shadowrun 5 is in progress, and the end is in sight.

I need to clear up a few mistaken assumptions;

The SR5 files started with the SR4 files. We did not re-invent the wheel.

The majority of the changes between 4th and 5th (from the point of view of the data files) have been to the details of how things are handled. There are relatively few changes in the data itself. For example, in 4th, you can only have one specialty/skill - spending karma to get a new specialty replaces the existing one. In 5th, you can get an unlimited number of specialties/skill (but only one at character creation). The list of skill specialties barely changed. That means that there's very little room for a contractor to help - the majority of the changes that needed to be made were to the way skill specialties functioned, not the list of skill specialties out there.

For things like the gear, most of them changed their description text and cost, but relatively few items were deleted from the gear list, and relatively few new things were created, and very few changed the way they actually functioned. That also makes it hard to make efficient use of a contractor, because the way Hero Lab's editor works, the contractors couldn't edit the raw data - I'd need to take in what they created, inspect it all for correctness, and then replace the existing material with the new versions, and then change the Ids of the items back to what they had been, rather than the Id created for the new version. The amount of time I need to spend on all that is barely smaller than the time it takes me to make the 4th->5th changes myself.

We will be using contractors for Run & Gun and all the future Shadowrun 5 material.
Mathias is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
lordmaxx

Old March 31st, 2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the update Mathias. I've been interested in buying this product, but been holding out for SR5 Can't wait to finally try it out. My gaming group normally runs Starwars D20 and Call of Cthulhu. They've been holding off on letting me teach them SR5 because I've wanted to have this tool at my side when we finally do!
lordmaxx is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old April 2nd, 2014, 05:47 AM
And there's now another free tool built off of Chummer that apparently got out the door first. LW needs to get the SR 5 version of the rules out like yesterday.

Taking this long to get the Sr 5 ruleset out is not going to help sales

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/...&topic=15185.0

cryptoknight is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
Peter Smith

Old April 2nd, 2014, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoknight View Post
And there's now another free tool built off of Chummer that apparently got out the door first. LW needs to get the SR 5 version of the rules out like yesterday.

Taking this long to get the Sr 5 ruleset out is not going to help sales

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/...&topic=15185.0
I took it for a spin. It was...painful.
Peter Smith is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old April 2nd, 2014, 06:31 PM
I didn't say it was great... but I was seriously hoping we'd see SR 5e from the official character generator before we'd see it from a hobbiest... That's all...

cryptoknight is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
Troedel

Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Shadowrun 5 is in progress, and the end is in sight.
Hope to see this one soon. Going through the book and calculating by hand is tedious if you are not used to it anymore... I want to spend some money.
Troedel is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoknight View Post
I didn't say it was great... but I was seriously hoping we'd see SR 5e from the official character generator before we'd see it from a hobbiest... That's all...
The latest Update (March, received 03-31-14) did not even mention ShadowRun for Hero-labs and since this is published monthly I would make the assumption that ShadowRun 5e for Hero Labs will not be out until at least May.
Mmurphy is offline   #50 Reply With Quote