Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 13th, 2012, 12:25 PM
During a character creation session last night it was noticed that the Gadgets power doesn't include the options/features inherent to Devices.

Since the Gadget power's description says it represents the creation of a wide variety of devices, refers the player to the Devices description and even includes the phrase "As with Device,...." it seems logical to me (and would've been very helpful last night) to have those Device features/options available in the same manner.

Thanks in advance,
Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; April 13th, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old May 10th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer View Post
During a character creation session last night it was noticed that the Gadgets power doesn't include the options/features inherent to Devices.

Since the Gadget power's description says it represents the creation of a wide variety of devices, refers the player to the Devices description and even includes the phrase "As with Device,...." it seems logical to me (and would've been very helpful last night) to have those Device features/options available in the same manner.

Thanks in advance,
**bump**

So, any thoughts at Lone Wolf on fixing this?

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 17th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Wouldn't you add the Gadgets power, then add the Devices as power settings under it? That way you can have full customization of whatever devices are available at one time.
Colen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old May 17th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Well, except isn't the Device aspect of it (the discount for Easy to Lose and Hard to Lose) already built in? If you want things like Indestructible, Summonable, Normal Appearance, etc to apply to all of the items you create via Gadgets...

I don't think there's a way to indicate that the power settings should draw from the Device modifiers.
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old May 17th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
Well, except isn't the Device aspect of it (the discount for Easy to Lose and Hard to Lose) already built in? If you want things like Indestructible, Summonable, Normal Appearance, etc to apply to all of the items you create via Gadgets...

I don't think there's a way to indicate that the power settings should draw from the Device modifiers.
& what about the other "special aspects" of Devices like "only usable by group"?

Certainly one could replicate all of those with Power Drawbacks & Power Flaws, etc. I was just wondering why it isn't set up to work the same way with Gadgets as it does with Devices.

To address Colen's question: well my observation is that Devices in U.P. are a container power structure that gives you a cost break, 3 or 4 pp/rank with each rank getting you 5 pp to use for traits. Gadgets in U.P. are listed as a variable effect but are really acting like an expensive-version container power structure, 6 or 7 pp/rank with each rank getting you 5 pp to use in making what comes under it.

To some GM's this seems like putting an array inside of any array or a device within a device to cheat, err I mean, be super-efficient with points & discounts & such.

Let's say I buy 3 ranks of Gadgets. That gives me 15 points to use. If put those straight into the Power: Ignite costing 3 pp/rank, it ends up at 5 ranks. If, however, we go with the method Colen asked about, I put those 15 points into an easy to lose flamethrower pistol Device (3 pp/rank) making it a Rank 5 Device and therefore I have 25 "usable" power points to put into the Device's Ignite Power and that Power ends up at Rank 8 with a single "usable" point left unspent. At the end it's a 3 rank difference for the same power.

Or have I missed something?

Nigel Fogg aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; May 17th, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote