Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ynnswa

Old February 26th, 2013, 03:50 AM
I've run into an error attempting to create a ninja. The text of it is below:

"Attempt to access non-live child pick 'xSudStrike' from script
Location: 'eval' script for Thing 'cNinSudStr' (Eval Script '#1') near line 11"

I went into editor and looked around...I found the cNinSudStr class special that is bootstrapped to the special xSudStrike, and I understand that it's used to total all the "Sudden Strike" bonuses you get from any source in order to test pre-reqs for other feats and such, but I can't see what the problem might be.

There is a programmers note on the class special that says "Why commented out? Need to check Dread Commando as well about this, since copied from there."

Any thoughts?

Thanks
ynnswa is offline   #151 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 26th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnswa View Post
I've run into an error attempting to create a ninja. The text of it is below:

"Attempt to access non-live child pick 'xSudStrike' from script
Location: 'eval' script for Thing 'cNinSudStr' (Eval Script '#1') near line 11"

I went into editor and looked around...I found the cNinSudStr class special that is bootstrapped to the special xSudStrike, and I understand that it's used to total all the "Sudden Strike" bonuses you get from any source in order to test pre-reqs for other feats and such, but I can't see what the problem might be.

There is a programmers note on the class special that says "Why commented out? Need to check Dread Commando as well about this, since copied from there."

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Unfortunately, I'm not able to duplicate the issue. Can you tell me more about the character? Do you have any other classes?

Also, do you have the most recent version of the community set (1.8)? Did you make any changes to it at any point?
Sendric is offline   #152 Reply With Quote
ynnswa

Old February 26th, 2013, 05:48 PM
I checked our laptop, which also has Hero Lab, and could create the ninja there without issue. Sorry that I didn't think to do that before I posted the question.

I couldn't see any files that were different between the two machines, but after an uninstall/re-install on the desktop, the problem is gone.

Thank you for the quick response.
ynnswa is offline   #153 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 27th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnswa View Post
I checked our laptop, which also has Hero Lab, and could create the ninja there without issue. Sorry that I didn't think to do that before I posted the question.

I couldn't see any files that were different between the two machines, but after an uninstall/re-install on the desktop, the problem is gone.

Thank you for the quick response.
No problem. Glad its resolved.
Sendric is offline   #154 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:28 AM
I noticed an apparent error in the 2nd level Wizard spell: Sting Ray.

I don't have access to the source material so I'm unaware if there is something in the book write-up that didn't carry over to the description in the software.

In Hero Lab, the description has an example which says the final DC should be 19. However, that is based on the spell's DC being 16 but the spell's DC should really be 15 (10 + bonus of 3 for the example stat of 16 + 2 for the level of the spell). So the Hero Lab write-up should say the final DC in the example is 18.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #155 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer View Post
I noticed an apparent error in the 2nd level Wizard spell: Sting Ray.

I don't have access to the source material so I'm unaware if there is something in the book write-up that didn't carry over to the description in the software.

In Hero Lab, the description has an example which says the final DC should be 19. However, that is based on the spell's DC being 16 but the spell's DC should really be 15 (10 + bonus of 3 for the example stat of 16 + 2 for the level of the spell). So the Hero Lab write-up should say the final DC in the example is 18.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer
The description in HL matches the source (Spell Compendium), so its a mistake by WotC. That said, its easy enough to fix on my end so I'll make the change.

Last edited by Sendric; March 22nd, 2013 at 06:52 AM.
Sendric is offline   #156 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 1st, 2013, 09:43 AM
I have received a report about Ability Focus not being able to select certain abilities (such as the Hexblade's Dire Hex ability). Taking a look at the Ability Focus feat, it appears it selects abilities on the character that have the tag User.PickFocus. This can easily be added to any ability in the editor, for those comfortable with doing so. When you find the ability in the editor (ie Dire Hexblade's Curse is located in Complete Warrior Compile.user in the Class Special tab), click on the Tags button in the upper right corner. Click to add another tag, then in Group Id put 'User' and in Tag Id put 'PickFocus'.

Unfortunately, at this moment, all this will do is make the item selectable. It does not guarantee that the DC of the selected ability will be increased. I need to take a closer look at how the Ability Focus feat is handling that. I will also be working on going through all the classes and making sure all class abilities can be selected so that this feat can be used for anyone. Sorry to have missed this in the last release.
Sendric is offline   #157 Reply With Quote
GLBIV

Old June 4th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I think the warlock class from Complete Arcane is allowing too many invocations. By my count, a 13th level warlock should have three invocations. HL is telling me I have eight available. I popped into the beautifully compiled Complete Arcane file and I think the issue is in the "custom ability count" array.

Warlocks should start with one invocation, then gain additional ones at 6th, 11th and 16th levels.

I'm going to change it appropriately in my data folder, but it might be good to change for future releases.

Thanks,
GLBIV is offline   #158 Reply With Quote
Drakos

Old June 4th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBIV View Post
I think the warlock class from Complete Arcane is allowing too many invocations. By my count, a 13th level warlock should have three invocations. HL is telling me I have eight available. I popped into the beautifully compiled Complete Arcane file and I think the issue is in the "custom ability count" array.

Warlocks should start with one invocation, then gain additional ones at 6th, 11th and 16th levels.

I'm going to change it appropriately in my data folder, but it might be good to change for future releases.

Thanks,
Warlocks end with 12 invocations at level 20 the progression, from page 8 of the Complete Arcane, is 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 18, 20. They start with only being able to pick Least invocations and at levels 6 they can choose Least or Lessor, Greater at 11th, and finally Dark at 16th. So 8 at level 13 is correct, of which you could have a maximum of 2 Greater. You do not have to pick your new invocation from the highest type available so all eight could be least invocations it desired.
Drakos is offline   #159 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 5th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBIV View Post
I think what you're quoting from is where it says "New invocation (least or lesser)" at level 6 in the warlock table. This is meant to indicate the grade of invocation that you are allowed to choose from (least, lesser, greater, dark) not how many invocations you have. So Drakos is correct. You do have 8 known invocations at level 13. At levels 6, 11, and 16, you can start choosing from a higher grade of invocations. Hope this helps.
Sendric is offline   #160 Reply With Quote